Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao

Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao

IMG_0695b-002

Shining titanium ‘fish scales’, patchwork golden/beige granite and clear, clean glass make this a building full of light and reflections. It’s organic, wonky and wonderful. I loved it and must go again. I have a collection of photographs and will let them speak for the building as I wander through it. I’ll just add a bit here and there.

We approach from the riverside path and look across at the tiles shining in the morning sunlight. The idea for such a cladding, came to Frank Gehry from his youth, when he had big, pet fish in an aquarium and used to stroke their shiny scales in the water.

The spider, called Maman, is an exhibit which can be found around the World. I first saw it at the Tate Modern Gallery. It’s by Louise Bourgeouis.

IMG_0691.bJPG-001

IMG_0692b-001

IMG_0693b-001

The canopy over the outside terrace is cantelevered, free-standing, and supported on one, central pillar.

IMG_0694b

IMG_0696b-001

Once inside, you can look out from nearly every space, either across, up or down. The only enclosed rooms that I remember, were those with painting exhibits in them. I didn’t look into many, not liking those that I did see, and so I remember with more alacrity, the outside-inside spaces. The glistening floor: the shimmering titanium: the buff-coloured granite tiles and walls: the shining reflective glass and the wonky doors and walls…wonky but working to perfection.

It was perhaps close to my idea of Paradise; space, shining cleanliness; freedom to wander wherever and always a different perspective. It gave to me a whole new way of looking UP, AROUND or ACROSS and even THROUGH. I absolutely revelled in it and still revel in the memory of it. The building was full of visitors, but not suffocatingly crowded; I felt by myself; yet with someone who was equally attuned and thus, at one with it.

IMG_0698bb-002

IMG_0699b-001

IMG_0700b-003

IMG_0709.bJPG

IMG_0710b-001

IMG_0711b

IMG_0720b

insideb-003

The large gallery on the ground floor is permanently filled with an art work by Richard Serra, called, “The Matter of Time”. We walked around the coils of curving walls, enclosed, released, entrapped then let go again. It was a sensory delight within a sensory delight.

Outside on the canopy shaded terrace, yet more shiny art work, this one a frivolous and delightfully tactile thing called “Tulips” by Jeff Koons, who was also responsible for a colossal…..but I get ahead of myself.

IMG_0712dmvig-003

IMG_0712.bJPG-002

IMG_0716.bJPG

From the terrace, views all round outside, with the reflections coming this time, from water:  always there were reflections.

IMG_0714b-001

IMG_0713b-003

IMG_0715b-001

Lynnette was enjoying at all too!

IMG_0717b-002

Back inside and ready for more…..this tour is not for the faint-hearted. J

IMG_0718b-003

IMG_0722b-001

IMG_0723.bJPG-001

IMG_0724b

IMG_0725.bJPG-001

IMG_0726b-001

IMG_0738b-001

IMG_0727b

IMG_0728b-003

Looking down, even the doors were wonky!

IMG_0740b-003

IMG_0729b-002

IMG_0733b-004

There is so much more meandering inside to do, but I am going outside now to a huge surprise exhibit, also by Jeff Koons, and one which I think that all gardeners over the World will find extremely lovable.

IMG_0743z-003

Go out and look up ahead… climb the steps…..

IMG_0745b-003

Approach cautiously…..

IMG_0746b-004

Walk around slowly…..

IMG_0748b-005

Et voila!

IMG_0749m.bjpg-003

Meet “Puppy”.

That’s what I call flower power!

Isn’t he gorgeous!

Just when I thought it couldn’t get much better… just when I was sad that we had to leave that wonderful building until the next time I didn’t know when… Puppy popped up and reminded me of the beauty of growing flowers and sensitive souls.

I love the Guggenheim Museum Building in Bilbao.

Anne ….. October 2013.

1. dixon says:

Fantastic set of pics Gertie. A long time since I was on the Pride of Bilbao. Do remember the holiday though.

I remember that ferry boat, but don’t think we ever travelled on that particular one. So have you been to the Guggenheim Museum too? :-)

3. A lovely walk around a very fascinating place, like the tulips, love the puppy. Its amazing how they have managed to get it to flower all together and that its also still looking so good. might have to have a go a t something like that next year, a couple of wire coat hangers, bag of soil&plants and hey presto !!! :rose:

Thanks for that Anne..read it once, looked at photos a lot more…Love the tulips and the puppy too…So glad lynnette had a good time…in “The matter of time” ;-) xx

Love from Lynnette to Shedted :good: :rose:

6. mick1970 says:

very nice pics i wont have to visit now dont do abroad …how do you do them picture blogs they do look the part

• gertie says:

:bye: Hi Mick…..Thank you :rose:
      I write my stuff in WORD and put the photos in as I go.
      Then I send my photos from Picasa3 to an album in Picasa Resized to get them to under 300KB.
      Then I select all and copy my WORD document to paste into My Gardenclickers blog.
      Next I upload the photos from the Picasa Resized album into the Media section.
      Then they can be transferred to the blog…by following the instructions as you go along, back and forth.
      Hope this helps…it’s long-winded but actually fairly straightforward…needs to be for me to be able to do it! :wacko:
      Good luck
      Anne :good:

What an amazing place gertie, but it would make me dizzy! :wacko:

8. Alex says:

Such a wonderful trip through your amazing photos and I have now added the Guggenheim Museum to my list of place I must visit :good: but I would struggle not to stroke the “Tulips” or the “Puppy” :whistle:

They are a feast for the eyes Alex :yahoo: The whole place was a an eye-opener to me……such possibilities still to explore for something different, that still works :yes: :good:

Fabulous Anne, thank you so much that was wonderful. :good:

Thank you Karen :rose: …I know it’s not to everyone’s taste, but I …as already said many, many times…found it absolutely fabulous :yahoo:

12. Hayley says:

Just caught up with this fabulous post Anne. :rose:
    All is so captivating here, don’t know where to start in agreeing with you! Fabulous pictures and narrative and definitely a place to visit. Thank you for sharing it :heart:

13. You write so many blogs, Anne that I miss them sometimes :wacko: This place looks incredible :yes: I love the wonkiness – such a statement from an artist :good:

14. diane says:

Totally amazing, really good, loved the puppy :yes:

Thank you for commenting Hayley, Jane and Diane. I am sure you would all love it there :heart: …..it is, as Jane intimates, such a successful statement from the truly great artistic vision of Frank Gehry. How many architects could get away with the wacky wonkiness!! Even the doors don’t hang straight, but they work perfectly….. it all did for me. :yes: :rose: :heart: