The Sensory Garden…an update

The garden before...

Has it really been 4 months since I updated progress on the sensory garden? I guess it has, given the floods, wind and torrential rain of early 2014.

In the meantime however, the earth has been moving most ardently, not because of sink holes fortunately, but more to start an extension to my Mum’s care home. So the excess soil on one side of the garden, we realised could help us on the other side of the garden, and after a friendly conversation with the builders, work began.

Despite the inclement weather moments were snatched in between the waves of water and wind to lift soil and relocate to the sensory garden area that now will be pretty much level. The poly tunnel has also been re-sited to the bottom end of the garden, along with its contents, no mean feat. Power has been extended out to the central area of the garden and bits of walls have been built and re-adjusted to enclose the space to make it a secure environment. So, all in all, not bad for only February!

Here’s some pictures of the progress:

Levelling and relocating the poly tunnel

View from the other end

The poly tunnel

I am hopeful that the builders will also put in the figure of eight pathway forming the main design feature and we can then start the job of building the soil structure ready for planting.

Exciting times are ahead; the enthusiasm for the project keeps growing every time I visit and, as ever the staff at the home are interested and motivated. When I continue to see how hard they work to care for my mum and all the other residents, I want to do what ever I can to make this garden a place where everyone can come together to rest, relax, laugh and play! After all, there’s a child in all of us.

That’s terrific work Hayley. :good: :rose:

PS How are the residents reacting to what is going on? Do they like the idea? Do :rose: they help where possible?

3. Hayley says:

Thanks Anne, not my work at the moment but I can see there will be much to do soon! Yes, the more able residents will help as we get the new season rolling. The poly tunnel needs to be organised for safety, it’s warm in there with just a little sun, so we’ll be encouraging people out to help with seed sowing :yes:

It is all coming on well Hayley and so exciting. The residents must love having something to look forward to and I bet you can’t wait for completion so you can start planting. :good: :rose: :heart:

5. bizzylizzy says:

well it’s flat and ready for lift off Hayley —- exiting times ahead :good: :yes:

6. Very exciting indeed!!! Such a fab and caring idea :yes:

• Hayley says:

The original idea was started by the former manager Jane and has been embraced fully by the new manager. What I love about the staff is that there is never any question as to ‘if’ this may happen, but ‘when’. :good:

what a fantastic idea and especially with the seed sowing too, lovely polytunnel too, look forward in more pictures as it progress’s :good:

• Hayley says:

Thank you Karen, any suggestions for planting gratefully received too! I’ve pieced together a rough plan with plants to help residents with sight, hearing, touch, taste and mobility problems, it’s a large space so we’ll need loads! :yes:

I’m just thinking that you will need quite a lot of pots for plant raising, when you really get going, and staging etc. Do you have enough equipment? Perhaps some of us have spares of things you might need. or seeds, which could be sent down to you. I’d love to know what you have on your plant list too, under the various headings. This is such a worthwhile thing to do, three cheers for management and YOU.

9. Hayley says:

Thank you Sheila, it is wonderful to be part of the team organising this project. Within the blog I posted a few months back there is a rough plan with planting ideas:

At that time too many clickers were kind enough to offer cuttings, plug plants and seedlings and when the time comes for us to get down to the nuts and bolts I will let you know. We do have many pots already and we are planning a resident/relative meeting soon to encourage more help ;-)

10. Looking good Hayley, bet you can’t wait for the better weather, so you can really get stuck in :yes: It will be such a benefit for all the residents. well done. Perhaps if you need any more plants we could bring them to Cardiff? :-)

oops! I see Hayley laden down with plants on each shoulder, rushing for the train home :yahoo: :wacko: Or are you going in the car Hayley? :rose:

12. Allan says:

You wont be allowed in the B+B with all those plants Hayl. Its coming together well, :good: :good: :rose:

I’ve had my thinking cap on and here are some suggestions.
    Wildflowers……corncockles, campion,ragged robin….all good pollinators and very pretty.
    Grasses…………stipa arundinacea (pheasant tail grass)…lovely colour and sways in the breeze.
    stipa tenuissima……very fluffy and tactile……hackonecloa macra aurea….very pretty and eye catching grass.
    Herbaceous…..foxgloves,sunflowers…visual impact,…..stachys bizantia….beautiful tactile soft grey felty leaves and brilliant for bees,…..verbena bonariensis…another great statement plant and bees and butterflies love it……alchemilla mollis………..great for flower arrangements for the home.
    Winter Interest and perfume…..lonicera fragrantissima, sarcocca,cronilla citrina glauca. All perfumed and the bees love them just when they need pollen after their winter sleep.

14. Allan says:

How about a camomile lawn, And scented herb section, Not forgetting a touch section, for the ones with poor or no vision. The list is endless. :scratch: :rose:

Scented herb garden would be a good idea also lavender don’t know anyone who can walk past it without rubbing your fingers on it, same as rosemary and lemon balm, on the wild flower section poached egg plants are lovely too and poppies too for the vivid colours :-)

• Hayley says:

Herbs are a definite Karen :good: poached egg plants are great for the pollinators too. :yes: I love poppies and daisies; poppies will also be a reminder of war time days and daisies of childhood days :rose:

16. wjarnock says: