Gertie’s Garden End of February 2014

Gertie’s Garden End of February 2014

IMG_1921mb-004

Midway through the month hellebores were in full sway.

IMG_2507.mbJPG-002

By the 24th they were fully flowering; pretty in morning sunlight.

IMG_2509mb-003

Snuggling next to them, little primroses, and along the way, fresh purple polyanthus.

IMG_2506.mbJPG-005

My elephants’ ears, bergenia[?], were in full flower, and very splendid.

IMG_2499.mbJPG-006

Around the little garden, bits and bobs are coming back to life; daffodil under the sprouting fuchsia, amongst the shoots of Spanish bluebells,

IMG_2496mb-005

Because of its persistence and its pretty yellow, I have vowed to allow some celandines to thrive in peace, though, unless someone tells me better, I will root out that weed around it!

IMG_2495mb-002

Campanula has started strong this year…it over-Wintered, so I hope it won’t be demolished by frost later.

IMG_2500mb-001

Here it comes , that early wonder, pulmonaria.

IMG_2501mb

….Lighter hellebores proliferate on the Blue Hill.

IMG_2502.mcbJPG-004

The broken-off hellebore [blooming Foxy!] with its two, fat buds, goes on blooming in the garden sink!

IMG_2503m.bJPG-004

IMG_2584cb-004

Light-coloured hellebores are very pretty on the Blue Hill.

IMG_2586cb-003

IMG_2586cb-003

IMG_2576.cbJPG-001

Rose shoots on Dame du Court, are still looking good, glowing in morning sunshine.

IMG_2581.cbJPG-002

Both curly and flat-leaf Welsh parsley pots are thriving :-)

IMG_2559cb

IMG_2560.JcbPG-001

Tulips are sprouting.

IMG_2561.cbJPG-002

Primroses by the log are multiplying…..

IMG_2554cb-002

…..and still, a tiny, red rose flowers!

IMG_2548.cbJPG-002

There are many signs of new growth, geraniums and lacy white thing, dicentra, under its protective cloche

IMG_2551.cbJPG

IMG_2540.cbJPG-002

Indoors , preparations are under way for more plants to go out later in the season.

Here are gaillarde and banana onions.

IMG_2571cb-002

I tried out my saved beans first, next I will sow special ones.

IMG_2572cb-003

Soon it will be time to plant the chitted early potatoes.

IMG_2574.cbJPG-001

Pride of place this year will be teasels, closely watched over by Hedgeley…I wonder why?

IMG_2573cbJPG-002

It’s away now and tend to more seedlings and also some weeding in Gertie’s Garden whilst the sun is still shining.

Anne …..February 26th 2014 ….happy B’day Sadie    :-)

1. mick1970 says:

very nice garden has plenty of life in it

Thank you Mick :rose: …it’s really surprising how much isn’t it :yahoo:

3. Thank-you for a lovely glimpse into your garden, spring is defiantly on its way :yahoo: its amazing what a few days or weeks do, the soil suddenly goes from bare to lots of new life appearing, a fantastic boost to morale :rose:

You are very welcome Lynn…I am constantly amazed and heartened by the power of plants. :yahoo:

Lovely Anne….its totally and utterly amazing “innit” :yes: :heart: :rose:

Ain’t it tho’ Sue :yes: :heart: :rose:

7. Lovely pics, Anne :yes: you have a lot more colour than me at the mo, although I do have hellebores.

I have only recently discovered hellebores Jane…I think it may have been Malcolm who alerted me to them, as with clematis. I too am pleasantly surprised by what is out there. There is a bit of a wind tunnel thro’ at times, but otherwise I think it’s quite sheltered. :-)

• Hellebores seem to be pretty hardy, Anne – mine get blown about tremendously and manage to survive :yes: I like some clematis but not all and although there are 5 here, it’s a bit hit and miss how they’ll do each year, it seems :wacko: Might be summat to do with me not knowing what they are and therefore when I should prune them B-)

• gonewest says:

Ah, I think it must be your photos that planted the word hellebore in my mind and have resulted in my purchase of 6 which I treated myself to yesterday and have planted this morning. I hope they stay the course.

I see you have teasels (that you’ve grown from seed? was it easy?). I see them growing wild and love them when their cones are purply-blue. I’d love to have a few down by the river in our garden as the land we’re on used to be a fulling mill. Teasels (fuller’s teasel were used as part of the process of fulling (basically combing I think) the wool. Kind of seems like they should be here somehow.

• gertie says:

The teasels have grown out of a teasel head I left in a bowl in the cold frame…it got some water in the bowl, neglect, and hey presto…baby teasels!!! :yahoo: :-) ;-)

• gertie says:

Re the hellebores Jane, I found some more trampled and broken yesterday….I am going to plant more in other places off what seems to be a fox highway :wacko:
        I thank goodness that they are hardy though, and so pretty. :yahoo:

I didn’t know about the goldfinches either Lizzie….we have had quite a few around here in the last few years. :good:

10. Yewbarrow says:

terrific pics again Anne, your hellebores are just fantastic lovely to see

They were lovely Jenny and those left standing still are :good: I think that there will be more before they stop flowering…lovely flowers :rose:

Pretty as a picture Gertie, a real delight. :rose:

13. dixon says:

Quite the photographer our gertie. ;-) :rose:

Thank you Dixon :rose: ….tho ‘it’s hard to go wrong with hellebores … ennit :yahoo: ;-)