Gertie’s Garden, March 2014 …..

Gertie’s Garden, March 2014

IMG_3614.cbbJPG-003

The wiggly willow is waking up, and so is Gertie’s garden.

IMG_3632.bJPG-001

Steps up around the Blue Hill are inviting.

IMG_3633bJPG-001

…I hope the cold doesn’t upset the uncovered Dicentra.

IMG_3641b-001

Soon blue myosotis flowers may fringe the climb up.

IMG_3634.bJPG-001

The raised bed is prepared and waits for beans.

IMG_3639b-002

From outside looking in it’s getting a bit better.

IMG_3620.bJPG-004

Inside the bin it’s snug and full of well fed worms!

IMG_3629B-005

There’s a very big bee hiding in the ribe bush.

IMG_3618bJPG

Splashes of yellow brighten the Kerria stems.

IMG_3619.cbJPG-004

Amazingly there are still blooming nasturtiums!

IMG_3637b-004

I love the different evergreens, light and dark, smooth and felty.

Old friends and new are starting to mingle and dance together in the garden, and they invite you to come in and wander, look, touch, stroke and sniff.

marchGGmm-002

Gertie’s Garden is waking up.

So Gertie’s Garden is waking up.

From the front, on the pavement, over the fence, it looks wild and woolly, but I have already had a nice comment on it from a neighbourly passer-by.

I have started mixing in farmyard manure with my own compost onto the raised bed, and am using some of this mix to top-dress baskets and fill in gaps with newly purchased ‘naughties’, like violas and pansies,

Sweeping the paths reveals too much grass and stray weed in-fills: these have to be grouted out.

The wood/bark-chip areas need recovering.

As I rarely label anything there are nice surprises as well as old favourites coming through the soil.

Some of the soil on the Blue Hill is still very hard. It started as a pile of clay, to which I am gradually, over the years, adding anything I can, to make it more friable and user-friendly.

I still have more baskets to make or renovate, and need to keep an eye on the level of slug destruction;…..nearly all my leaves and blooms are being eaten and still no sign of a frog or a hedgehog !

Anne     21.03.2014

1. gibbon says:

what a cose little place it looks very restfull and wild yet caired for, very nice, :good:

Thank you Cliff :rose: That describes it well :yes:

3. Allan says:

Looking good Anne, Do you have a makro near you. They are doing 100 litres of bark chips for £6.99, Buy one get one free, You would have to get someone to lift it for you though, Its more than I can carry now. :rose:

4. Looks lovely, Anne :-) very inviting those steps :rose:

5. mick1970 says:

looking busy and tidy well done anne :good:

Thanks Mick…..it will be tidy, when I get busy :yahoo:

7. DizzyD says:

looking good bet it is lovely when in full bloom , no wonder the Teds like it

• gertie says:

It can get very wild and woolly David and I find it difficult to tame, as a bit of me likes it wild!! This year I am determined to try to keep the paths clear and make sure that there are comfy sitting places :yes: The teds find all sorts of comfy spots ;-)

8. gonewest says:

Love that first photo of the wiggly willow with the rainbow effect behind it. Sets the scene for all the colours to come in you blog and in the garden in the months to come. :yahoo:

Thank you Lizzie. It was the fortuitous parking of a van delivering something down the road, which couldn’t find a space there….. :rose: I did chat up the young van workers to make sure they didn’t clout our new, sensible Ford which was sitting alongside, within about 3 inches of them!! :wacko:

Exciting times in the garden, gertie. It looks lovely as if there are secret places. I wanted to put hedges or trellis in to divide ours up but OH likes to see the whole thing…………… :negative:

• gertie says:

I remember you saying Cilla…is there perchance one tiny corner that he can’t get at that you could make your own, secret surprise place? :unsure: ;-) :rose: Like , round the corner, or go through an archway and … “Dadahhhhh!”….. “Here’s the perfect spot for a sunny day nibble lunch or quiet read :yes: “

It is waking up Gertie..and its bloomin lovely :good: :heart:

Yeah Sue :yahoo: love to Shedted :rose:

Anne its looking lovely already, its like a secret garden with lots of surprises around each corner, and do love your wiggly tree, i,ve seen these in our local gc and they are such lovely trees too :good:

Thank you Karen :rose: I do like the nooky bits, and it’s gradually coming back to life. Some bold steps to be taken soon for a GH space, but it will be after the Easter break now. BB is still out there finishing his shed roof!! :-)

I’m not going to ask you how on earth you managed to get the circular rainbow round the wiggly willow – because cameras and photography are something else I am a technoduffer about – so wouldn’t understand the answer….. And really impressed by the nasturtium, and a fuschia in flower….. Must be able to provide a microclimate like the south of France in Crystal Palace. Also deeply envious of all those worms in your compost bin – and hereby promise to pay great attention to everything Mickyp says at Cardiff – I really must do better in this department.

Teehee Sheila :yahoo: I shall de-confuse you :wacko:
    1] The rainbow was on the side of a van fortuitously parked just outside at that particular moment, so I thought I’d make use of it…..’simples’ as those funny critters say :yes:
    2] I thought I had it sorted re composting…but Micky helped me to understand that the worms were trying to make a break for it when every time I opened the bin, they were congregated in writhing masses around the bin lid.
    So now I treat them with tender, loving care as Micky does and they are multiplying for the world :yahoo:

All I can say Anne, is at least you have worms – even if they are trying to flee the compost bin. I just have ants and woodlice and plenty of them (she whispers with shame) which are intent on staying in my neglected bins.

Well seriously Sheila, have you read any of Micky p’s stuff. he’s very thoro’ and his talk made the whole thing crystal clear. It is often cold in your neck of the woods. Have you thought of not only putting a ‘blanket’ over the top of the compost inside [ a circle cut from carpet or thick card or whatever ] but even wrapping the composter in fleece etc for the Winter to keep the worms warm as Micky does? It might be all the extra that’s needed. :yes: :rose:

• Beanstew says:

Of course I have read Mickyp’s stuff, and am a great admirer of his teachings – but am a lazy so-and-so, who can’t be bothered to cut up compostable material, and heave it whole into the lidded bins, which I then totally forget to water. Am hoping for a “conversion on the road to Damascus” at Cardiff, when I can hear him speak. I’m sure wrapping the bins over-winter contributes, but neighbours already think I am a bit eccentric……Am lost composting soul….

• gertie says:

Eccentric is interesting Sheila……I’d like to think we are all a bit eccentric in our different ways…..I did wonder if cooking, composting, painting, complicated knitting, arts/crafts in general, are all things that please the creative urges in us, and taken to extremes of excellence they can produce eccentric activity…..so much the better. Have taken to grabbing every bit of suitable and uncoloured bit of card and paper I can find in the paper recycle and shredding it [most satisfactory occupation :yes: ] for the composter instead. it’s like recipes for worms…..how mad is that :wacko: I would say I should get out more, but I have to anyway, to feed the worms ;-)

19. gonewest says:

Ha-ha. I’d thought the rainbow was somehow due to you taking the photo through glass. The round blackness looked a bit like a reflection of your lens. But yes it all makes sense now. Lucky timing. :good: