June fall.

We are coming up to the time of year when your  runner beans will be covered in  flowers ,You’ll be standing back  admiring  ,Thinking,,,I am going to have an exceptional  crop,,, When what happens,? You get the June fall, When the paths get covered in your lovely pink bounty, I have heard numerous  explanations  why it happens ,and have tried out  as many cures,The only thing  that might have made a difference  is ,Spraying the f lowers with a mist spray in the evening, But even  when we have damp weather. It still happens  ,,,It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has any thoughts on the subject.

I get that most years Allan, though the plants do recover quickly and produce lots more. Between that and the birds nicking them it’s a wonder we get any at all. But always seem to get loads.

Never was able to work out why it happens, might it be something to do with insufficient pollination? And the mist spraying might help with pollination? I’ll try it and see, thank you. :good:

Must speak to my stand-in gardeners ;-)

3. Allan says:

It’s not a sure solution Karen,I think that when the first flowers appear ,The bumbles at least are feeding on other plants,I have thought myself that it could be a transition period. Where they are between plants, :unsure:

4. Yewbarrow says:

some years are worse than others Alan – my Dad always sprayed his with a hose when it happened and I tend to do the same, it could be that no enough water is getting to the roots so the plant cuts its losses – heard interesting programme (science) on radio 4 yesterday, research is going on re listening to plants (don’t laugh) plants rigged up to electrical monitoring things and then they torture the plants and get quite a dramatic reading – they are hoping to link these results to plants indicating changes in climate, growing conditons, soil conditions – I know my mum used to sing “I talk to the trees and then they put me away” ha ha – the scientists are talking and listening to our plants.

5. Allan says:

Thanks,YB,I always keep the roots we’ll watered so I tended not to include that,Prince Charles. Has talked to His plants from a very early age, I even tried tortureing mine by playing Barry Mannilow tapes too them,But the flowers didn’t open, They kept their ears shut, There has to be some rational explanation for it that is getting missed. :unsure:

I did read somewhere that it’s to do with the vibrations from voice or music, if I started singing the whole lot would collapse :wacko: , I do I must admit talk to my plants and veg usually come on you bleep bleep lot or I,’ll dig you up, seems to help :lol: :harvest:

7. Allan says:

Karen Sometimes I talk to stinging nettles and brambles. ;-) ;-) It doesn’t do them any harm ,but it makes me feel better. :bye:

8. Allan do you Talk to them and apologise for ripping them up or cutting them down? :whistle: Umm I do that :-)

I talk to the greenhouse toms and cucs as in “morning chaps and chapesses, did you have a good night”, then I sometimes ruffle them. Last thing I say “night all” :wacko: :wacko: :lol: :lol: ……will you all visit me when they take me away?

10. Walt says:

A few thoughts…there are many other flowers at the time that are more attractive to Bees (easier to access)…the plant knows it’s limitations and drops what it cannot support…low pH, possibly from over watering or heavy rain, a Limewash will fix that…driller Bee ‘Bombus terrestris’……my money is a place bet on the first two……a while back I thought about playing Cliff Richard for them…figured they would probably die laughing as I nearly did ;-)

My theory about June drop is that plants (as well as humans) have a period of transition, which we call adolescence, in which the plant cells are changing under the influence of plant hormones, from being purely vegetative to gaining the ability to produce flowers. At the beginning of this process, before the flower-producing hormone gains ascendancy, or becomes established enough, the chemical mix is not strong enough to continue the flowers through fertilisation to produce seed – and the flowers drop. I think its the same reason that causes courgette plants to produce male flowers only when they start flowering – and later the female flowers come along when the transition becomes established. Just think of most adolescents’ need for extra sleep, moodiness, and general irrationality – they may be physically capable of parenthood – but not ready to assume the responsibilities that go with it (or pick their clothes up off the bedroom floor).

12. Hayley says:

Interesting Al. Funny thing that apples do it too doing it’s own type of ‘pruning’ almost, or self selection. :unsure:

13. Allan says:

I think with an apple tree, Hayl. It regulates the number of fruit it knows it can support/ Or through poor pollination. Yet saying that a tree that is struggling will produce more fruit to save itself, by the number of seeds it produces. Happy medium with them with the N and plenty of P when fruiting. :bye: