A Flower-filled Afternoon.

A Flower-filled Afternoon.

As I walked to the post box, to catch the half past four o’clock post, I once again noticed the beautifully tended gardens and flowers around the village.

IMG_2831

Two sentinels of perfect topiary graced the entrance to one garden where the front lawn looked ironed rather than mown, it was so neatly trimmed.

IMG_2854.mmJPG

. Next door, a chorus line of scarlet salvia, all grown each year from seed I was assured, danced around the borders of the equally beautiful sward of green, this one awaiting it’s trim to rid it of the tiny bugles, daisies, trefoils, clovers and whatever else were painting pretty dots over it.

IMG_2862mm

Every year, each season, it is the same. Local gardeners, some I have learnt, born and bred here, take enormous care and joy in their gardens. These flowers and shrubs, and many more, light up a long bank bordering the corner house as you walk down the road. The lady who made the garden, and knew all her plants, died a few years ago, and the garden lives on as her wonderful legacy to the village. I hope that the new owners don’t try to change it too much.

ditcheatgardenmm

IMG_2855.mmJPG

One elderly gentleman, who was a local man born here eighty eight years ago, called to me as I was wandering up a twitchel towards the church.

“Why was I wandering up this narrow pathway?”

The man’s neighbour, having spotted me taking photographs on my way to the post box, advised me that if it were flower pictures I was interested in, I should visit the church, where there had been a Flower Festival just this past weekend. So I did: the twitchel was supposed to be a short cut.

IMG_2850.mmJPG

IMG_2849.mmJPG

It was the second, elderly man who insisted on helping me to find the best way to the church, the door through which I would have taken a short cut, being locked. I didn’t need the help, but was acutely aware of the kindness and friendliness of this stranger, especially as just a few minutes before, a woman on the other side of the road, whom I didn’t recognise, had called “Hallo!” as well, making me remember Mick1970’s comments, made just this morning, about differences in town and country life. It is a pleasure to meet such welcoming friendliness.

IMG_2852mm

Entering the quiet, cool church interior, I took a photograph of the array of lilies and other flowers displayed in the vestibule.

IMG_2865.mmJPG

IMG_2867mm

Inside, there were displays from the local school and I idly wondered which flower had been painted by our Granddaughter as most displays had no individual’s name on them; rather fair I thought.

churchdisplaysmm

As I wandered quietly around the small interior, Looking at the displays of plants and flowers, both real and depicted in design, the whole village structure surrounded me, both past and still very much present: our Today, is the future’s History…. nice to fill it with flowers.

IMG_2901mm

Back home, parents returned from a wedding, we had Hermione’s cakes…..

IMG_2909mm

…..reminding me of the flower cakes in the church.

IMG_2892mm

…A flowery Day.

Anne ……21.07.2014

1. Yewbarrow says:

stunning Anne – I hope that lady’s garden continues too, so often it doesn’t but hey ho each to his own

My feelings too Jenny, though I do so love that garden :rose:

3. gibbon says:

this evening I talked to a young lady of 8 years and her nan, I showed her some of your teds postcards, and she loved them and when I told her about you and what you put on the site she produced a tablet and insisted that I put that part of the site on it so a visit to Carol the lady that helps me on the computer soon had it on and she was fasanated,but conplained that on the tablet it was too small and is going to get her day to get it on his conputer and she said that she would ask him to join the site ,her nan said that the little girl colected teds herself,she is a little scouse girl and very cleaver for her age with more knowlage of gardening than we would expect, so you have a new fan, and thanks for your latest :rose:

• gertie says:

That’s lovely to hear Cliff…..fancy….. I think that you must be a good salesman amongst your other talents :good: I agree with the little girl re size….the pics are more fun when large.
      Thank you very much. :rose:

• gibbon says:

I am not the sales man, you are ‘ all I did was draw her attention to what you do, she was helping me to water the fruit trees by turning the butt tap on and off, and in answer to her questions , I explained why I gave them a lot of water in one go, then went on to explain why I had a small crabapple tree, she then surprised me by starting a conversation about nuterants, to say I was surprised does not realy say enough, :rose:

There’s a gardener in the making there Cliff :good: …and I can see where she’s coming from…obviously has a gardening/caring family behind her, too. Thank you for showing her my tales and telling me about her too :rose: ….it’s lovely having feed back, especially positive feedback :good:

5. mick1970 says:

evening anne lovely stroll again……i always remember when i was down in london with chelsea i tried on a few occasions trying to just get an hello …..i ended up sitting with a homeless man and he told me a lot about all the changes around kings cross it was so interesting one thing he said was 24hrs a day is rush hour about 2 hours i was sat there

• Walt says:

This is interesting…what else did he say?

• gertie says:

Mick. I had some spare sandwiches weighing down my bag once years ago when in London. I saw a sad-looking man sitting on the end of one of the London Bridges and asked him if he would like them. He told me very crossly to “Go away, he didn’t want them…” I was clearly offending him in my ignorance…thought I was helping…stupid me, yet usually I can smile and talk to most anyone…that event stays in my memory as a reminder not to “interfere” altho’ I like listening to people and hearing about their lives.
      To be approached without prompting in the village was delightful, and the 88 year old man clearly enjoyed having someone to help and talk to who had the time to listen. The way he was ‘ironing ‘ his lawn tickled me :yes:
      Your chance encounter with that homeless person had a similar effect on you I think, as the one I had with the “NO sandwiches!”. It’s strange how these things stick with you.
      Love to hear more.

• gibbon says:

I think you met the duke of westminister on london bridge he likes going about like a down and out yet he owens most of london, why eat your sandwwiches when he owens a trout farm not far from me and were ever is in the world he has trout flown out to him, so don’t feal bad,if you see him again tell him you fasncy some fresh trout :whistle: :rose:

A lovely walk Anne and such a friendly village. It is fascinating walking round places and viewing their gardens…………why is it that at Open Gardens the ones which aren’t open always look so intriguing?

• gertie says:

There’s an easy answer to that one Cilla. the folks who judge which gardens are fit for opening are very particular about their readiness. I have a friend who wanted to open hers but was told it didn’t have enough unusual species in it to warrant opening, and she was rejected. :negative:
      Peops have said I should offer Gertie’s Garden but it’s way too untidy and anyone who wants to, sees it and comments as they pass by, which is fine by me. I get to smile at many strangers passing by, looking, as Sheila would say, like the proverbial scarecrow covered in mud and sweat!! :lol:

7. Hayley says:

Beautiful pics and narrative Anne. It’s great to meet people as you walk, always seems to happen when I walk Philip, he’s a good ice breaker! ;-)

• gertie says:

…and a lovely way to meet folks and keep trim too Hayley…..sometimes I think I should wander around with a big teddy bear, but that might bring on the white-coated rather than the chatty!! :wacko:

8. bizzylizzy says:

fab anne :good: :-) only a quick flick through will read it again later :-)

This sounds and looks idyllic Anne – and I am really impressed by the immaculate state of these gardens. Mine looks terrible just now, not just jungle-like – so full of appreciation for the hard work of the gardeners which you have shown us so well.

Have been passing them for years Sheila, and sometimes felt underwhelmed by the incredible neatness of some. Now, having met their ardent owners, quite by chance, I can’t wait to go back and chat and listen some more. Imagine growing and planting out ALL THOSE SALVIA from seed…it’s little short of a miracle, and he said that this year they weren’t so good :rake:
    Believe me, they were impeccable and I assured him so. :yahoo:

Lovely stroll round your neighborhood Anne..I think more and more people are doing their home gardens now :good:

I wish it were my neighbourhood Sue :yes: ….I love strolling around it. :rose: It’s where son and Family live down in Somerset. I have been going there on/off for years and always find something new and nice to bask in. :rose:

13. camellia says:

Thanks for sharing your stroll lovely to see others enjoying their gardens.

Thank you Camellia Jane…[I think both names are lovely btw :rose: ]
    the little girl in the penultimate picture was playing in our garden here in CP yesterday, and no doubt will be again today!