A XMAS RANT !!!!!

This is the opposite view to all the fluffy bunny ,santa sprinkled , Disney and Victoriana invented Blooming Xmas that is being spoon fed to us.

The hole festive thing has gone …MAD !!. The marketing opportunity is first and foremost ,plus the ludicrous absorbed pressure that seems to be out there to have this So Called Perfect Xmas. The antithesis is the TV program and Book that gives you the instructions as how to prepare the said event !! MAN !! has everyone lost it ???  Blooming Nigela and others  cashed in on this years ago but its never ending. A TV channel in September..YES ..September …started cooking programs dedicated to Xmas !! so we could all be prepared .

Toys ..computers..food..events and so on…All set up to tap into this advertised  and created lifestyle choice that over the years has been invented . Iv not even scratched the surface of the subject but its safe to say that many of you will totally disagree and call me cynical….And thats one other point!!

It should be ok ..NOT to want to get involved in the Xmas Madness and NOT be labelled as someone who is a miserable and mean person. Dickens has a lot to answer for !!

Im not religious so i don’t have that side of Xmas to think about or have a family who are nuts for the event ether. A holiday is good…A Mass market assault on pocket..sanity  and months of Dam adverts ……No Thankyou

I open the floor to my impending Doom..  Happy  Xmas… Ba Humbuggggg

Purely my own personal view is that I agree with you Simon. I feel that the whole meaning of Christmas has disappeared in the mad greed filled consumer marketing. I don’t have a problem with other people enjoying it, especially if it is the only time they get to see family and friends who they probably don’t see for years. (Although this can often lead to disharmony!!!)

It is really for children…………..but not the huge amount of presents given to them, if OH’s grandchildren are anything to go by. I can remember looking out of the window on Christmas Eve and looking for Santa in his sleigh and that is still magical for children. I actually do like seeing sparkly deccies and greenery “decking the halls” and enjoy receiving cards from distant friends and relatives and I love to hear carols being sung……….but the rest I can easily forget. The thing is most people have so many things……laptops, Iphones, computer games, music centres that there can’t be any thrill in buying or receiving presents any more. I love giving and receiving books, but most people seem to own a Kindle or a tablet. They see something they want and whatever time of year they order online. And most of us eat a huge variety of food nowadays which is so available………so what do you cook for Christmas that is different?

I would be happy having a lovely country walk and coming back to bangers and mash and a glass of good wine……….which is probably what will happen this year. :lol:

I have to admit that just for the one day I am sometimes envious of large family gatherings as I rarely see my sister or cousins and nephews and nieces scattered round the country. But I am always relieved when the whole thing is over and normality reigns. :rose:

Bah Humbug indeed MC. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Totally with you on the commercialisation – I hate that. I guess I use it as an excuse to set some time aside for family, friends and neighbours, and that’s what it’s all about for me. It is what you want it to be, and what you make it. Enjoy your doom. :whistle:
    By the way, did you know that Christmas is the busiest time of year for the Samaritans? Says it all really.

Where to start Simon :unsure:
    I used to have a strong Christian faith, which gave me [I hope] a strong moral base, but I have discarded/lost that faith now and see only what harm fanaticism…of all sorts, religious and economic-based, does to people. So part of me is with you regarding all the hype and pressure, but it’s out there and I refuse to be dragged down by it Simon. Some peops like ‘this’, some like ‘that’, you choose what you want I guess. I like the season because it gives me an incentive to catch up with friends, with whom, with the best will in the world, I can’t always see enough of during the year…less so now that some of us are retired, but it’s still difficult as we are all so spaced apart. Truly religious people are not pressured by fanaticism, any more than non-religious ones…well that’s my humble opinion. Many of my friends are religious believers and have retained their faith, and that’s comforting for them, and fine by me [thank you Anne ;-) we’re all different, thank goodness!] so I hope your rant has comforted you a little…it can be so ridiculous ‘out there’ so just go your own sweet way Simon :yes: :heart: :rose:

I think one of my best christmases was at my cousin’s farm in Devon. We went walking and riding his horse. His wife cooked us lovely things and we had lots of laughter by their huge inglenook fire. And there was a Queen concert on television I remember.

5. I gave up on the present and card thing (no religion here) when I worked in China as they don’t do it and it was a good excuse. Having said that, I still send 6 cards to immediate family. Very difficult to avoid completely and I get more than enough of C-mas telly with the adverts on 4OD and ITV iplayer :wacko: It’s for kids, that’s how I see it, but I do wonder how it affects the materialist brains of the little darlings B-)
    As I’ve said elsewhere, this year I’m celebrating Isaac Newton’s birthday on the same day with roast duck and homegrown parsnips, followed by my own frozen raspberries and cream :good: We’ll go for a walk, like many others, and wish people all the best.
    It’s the culture, innit and we can only tweak it at the sides if we don’t fall in line :lol:

6. gibbon says:

in our house my mother did her best for 3 kids all year.living on a pitance from the army and a little she made from driving an overhead crain in a steelworke and cleaning a pub on a sunday morning that is why I first used to prepair the veg and then taugh myself to cook sunday dinner at 8 years of age, my birthday was late in december and what I got for my birthday was promises that my mother could not keep, and rationing ment you were limited anyway, that got me in to gardening at a young age, christmas for me was going to midnight mass, being able to stay up realy late on that day, a pratcis I kepted up untill I joind the army,. now for me christmas means the shops will be shut for a couple days and I had beter see that I have the esentals in and that I dont run short of fags,, these days it is nice for the kids and very welcome to the big stores, they have joy going to the bank with our hard earned cash that we have wasted on tomfoolery, it is a page#n thing steming from the time our ansesters hung bits of colourd cloth an an evergreen tree in mid winter to keep the evel sprits of winter away, the evel sprits now are the super stores , :negative:

OOh! Do love a good rant Simon – and there is so much to rant about with this one….. But I really do think people enduring our gloomy Northern winter with short days need something to break the monotony. (Look how glum we Clickers have been just waiting for the new season?) And some bright person aeons ago suddenly said, “Let’s have a bit of a feast and a get together” – long before the birth of Christ ( Christians simply jumped on the bandwagon and annexed the idea ) and the rest of the mess we see today is down to filthy Capitalism and the power of advertising. But if you can hold onto the central idea, and ignore all guff – it’s still a good idea, and it must have been even better when life was much shorter and more brutal than it is today.

• Your click reminded me of a Swedish cafe in China, Sheila. I was fortunate to go to one of their festivals – it was lovely. This is from: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/517701/St-Lucias-Day

“St. Lucia’s Day, festival of lights celebrated in Sweden, Norway, and the Swedish-speaking areas of Finland on December 13 in honour of St. Lucia. One of the earliest Christian martyrs, St. Lucia, was killed by the Romans …because of her religious beliefs.

In Scandinavian countries each town elects its own St. Lucia. The festival begins with a procession led by the St. Lucia designee, who is followed by young girls dressed in white and wearing lighted wreaths on their heads and boys dressed in white pyjama-like costume singing traditional songs. The festival marks the beginning of the Christmas season in Scandinavia, and is meant to bring hope and light during the darkest time of the year.

In earlier centuries the Norse celebrated the winter solstice with large bonfires meant to scare off evil spirits and to alter the course of the sun. After converting to Christianity …, the Norse incorporated the legend of St. Lucia into their celebration. The modern festival of light combines elements of both pagan and Christian traditions.”

It just seemed a lovely way to remember the light that the northern countries miss at this time of year.

• SIMONDO says:

If you look at the little ditti i penned :mail: in the poetry comp it might fall into context with my take on the bigger picture too :-). First one on the page i think :scratch:

• SIMONDO says:

I know it was your idea To have a Xmas rant Sheila, but this morning at the shops just pushed Simondo Scrooge over the edge…consider your thunder nicked …Temporarily :lol:

• Beanstew says:

I merely voiced an impulse, Simon – and you (and lots of others) were thinking it too – and an impulse doesn’t carry any ownership. And I think you have done it perfect justice. (just off to look up Pickle Nicker) But I do think it is based on a valid human need (as above) which has been corrupted by vested interests.

Life may have been shorter, but not sure it was more brutal Sheila :unsure: ….. just throw that in to toss about! :harvest:

9. dandlyon says:

I tend not to be lured into the commercial side of Christmas, look at the side of Christmas that costs something more precious to some people than expensive must have gifts,,,,, your time. Christmas eve what ever the weathers like we will be in small groups visiting local care homes, just to sing a couple of carols then move to another care home. The residents look forward to this every year. Christmas morning a trip to Acorns in Worcester, this is a children’s hospice .Their eyes light up when they see a small gift for each of them, some of these may never see another Christmas yet their spirit is a lesson for all of us. Later we will have a live link up with our friends in Ferantari Baptist church in Bucharest to exchange Christmas greetings . On the afternoon more of my family will drop in some for tea ,others will call in later and stay for a bite of supper. Louis Armstrong said it all for me “What a Wonderful World” .We have enough doom and gloom all the rest of the year I am happy with what I have

10. Walt says:

Says it all for me :yes:

11. Yewbarrow says:

We have lost the whole meaning of Christmas so I agree with Simon on that, but I am lucky in that I do have family to share it with, we do attend church because Christmas is the mass of Christ – it is celebrating his birthday, yes there was a pagan celebration about this time of the year in yonks gone past and the church hijacked it when christianity came to these shores but it is still celebrating the birth of a child – I always put a candle on the christmas cake and when the children were little we sang happy birthday and they blew the candle out. I love all the decorations both out and about and indoors, at what is often a dreary time of the year weatherwise it cheers things up a bit – forget the commercialisation of it all, we are in the depth of winter, lets have a bit of warmth generated and if someone you know is on their own, check if they would like to join you and celebrate with you, or help out at one of the many charity events which provide warmth and food for those not so fortunate – sorry that’s my rant over, seasons greetings etc to one and all

12. roly says:

lots of replies to this topic and why not its CHRISTMAS so the never ending TV adverts of either some nearly naked women promoting some sort of perfume that cost’s the price of a small family car and has a name you can’t pronounce

then there’s the perfume that all men need to use perfect for pulling the opposite sex and that people can smell a mile away

and then there’s the supermarket adverts there all there your so used to them you can say are that’s Tesco or that’s M&S inviting you to buy buy buy

so after all that there’s the Christmas television so many TV channels to watch you will need 5 television’s in your room to watch all the progs

is Christmas a time to fill your belly with as much food and alcohol as it can take putting on many pounds on that waste line

or are you flying of abroad to a sunny place to get roasted and consume a bottle or two of the local plonk

for me it was a time to look forward to your mum going that extra bit with a lovely turkey and all the trimmings on the table Christmas pud and for me my granddad and grandmother staying over

in later years having a drink or two in moderation of cause having friends calling for a swift half that was the meaning of Christmas cheer

so what’s the different
    well you can have Christmas food any time of the year when years ago most shops would be closed for several days
    the wife and me like to go to church over Christmas because its one of the only times its traditional service including Christmas carols and not happy clappy service that’s one of the reasons why we left of going to the Sunday services

the other reason why I left of going was when the had holly communion that we didn’t take the following friendship hand shakes we where left out anyone would have thought we where lepers I said to the wife I want to go to church with proper Christians not these I m better than you folks so that was the end of that

this is a very good topic and needs to be continued

let me ask you the following

do you think Christmas is getting to commercialised ?

what’s you memories of past Christmases

T-B-C :yes:

Roly, I worked for Church of Scotland Social work for many years, and everyone I worked with was a Christian. The first thing I learned was that Christians are no different from anybody else – bung full of human frailties and vanities. And I’m sure its the same in every religion the world over. I met very few “proper Christians” – so I wish you joy in your search for a churchful.

I’ve no idea – I was using Roly’s phrase. I assume he referred to people whose behaviour consistently showed evidence of Christian ideals and values. But we are all fallible, Christian or not.

15. gibbon says:

I must answer the question what is a proper christian, you will not find them in church,you will find publicans there, because they are thought by the church to run houses of sin, and they are defending them selves, but you dont even have to belive in the bibel,a christian. is some one that cairs more about other people than they do about themselves, there are a lot of them about like the people that have very little themselves yet they are the best givers, morels belong to the working class,, the people that have the most allways want more, I could go on and when you think about it so could you, I just want to remind you what a sad misrable time christmas is, it used to be train crashes just befor christmas, but now we have moved on it is this year the killing of inersent children, I prefer any time of the year more than the pagen christmas, and christ was born when the church wanted him born and mid winter suited ,and why is father christmas white, were he was born every one else was black, :whistle:

16. mick1970 says:

i am a catholic by no choice of my own they used to do the wine and bread and the handshake i have seen what roly says i am atheist with my own thoughts now…i enjoyed the church gathering tonight which was church of scotland seemed friendly enough,i have the jehovah’s witnesses who call and i listen and read the magazines very nice people i just try and get on with everyone

17. SIMONDO says:

Ok, Ok …who’s talking Religion !!! Y’all all be talking Politics Next … :whistle:
    Im a proper ..Heathen, so i couldn’t possibly enlighten anyone on a “Proper anything ” Religious :lol:

Don’t really know if this is what Simon expected when he penned his magnificent rant – think all organised religions are power structures – and we are better off thinking our own private thoughts.

• SIMONDO says:

I must admit i wasn’t thinking that anything should be ..Taboo as such .
      Not being Religious my rant didn’t come from a standpoint that Xmas has lost any meaning from that point.

Its a Freeee site Man :lol:

• Beanstew says:

Don’t think the subject is taboo, but I have no wish to offend anyone’s beliefs unwittingly. Also why I don’t talk politics – except when my loathing of Alex Salmond and the Scots Nats boils over…….

• SIMONDO says:

Take your point…I tend not to talk from a religious stand point or a political one due to being not the least bit ..into ether.
          Like a bit of Salmon though….on a bed of onions a tarragon :whistle:

19. dandlyon says:

I think there are genuine Christians and those who want to be seen as Christians
    A n example, Very busy road lots of people waiting to cross over ,when a blind man appears, people fall over themselves to help him safely across the road, it makes them feel good. Then a scruffy drunk appears not capable of crossing the road safely , but how many people go to help him? no feel good factor in doing that, he shouldn’t have got in that state, but he needs help may be more than the blind man. I forget at the moment who said “There but for the Grace of God go I” but its a saying that’s very true

20. gibbon says:

I was proberly miss understood when I said that you wont find chrittians in church, it was once pointed out to me by an army chaplin, that a church is nat a building,it’ iis a group of people, and it does not have to be in a building, the house of god is every were, brings to mind the good surmaritan,we no nothing about him not even his name, he could have been a drunkerd or a womaniser,a gambler, or indeed some one that did not belive in the church, but he was a christian,

21. dandlyon says:

At the time Jesus spoke the parable of the good Samaritan the word Christians did not exist ,it was some years later in Antioch that the term was first used. Samaritans were despised by the Jews hence the mention of a priest and a levite passing by on the other side. These were top men in Jewish religious law ,leaders of the Jewish faith, but to have touched an injured man would have made them unclean so they crossed the road and walked past. I would think the Samaritan was a man of means he took the injured man to an inn paid for his welfare and said on his return he would reimburse the inn keeper for any extra costs, some thing that suggest the Samaritan was known by the innkeeper

22. gibbon says:

because the word was not invented, does not mean that they did not exsist, they had to be there for someone to feel the need to give them an name, in other words there have allways been decent people befor relidgen, was given a name, :lol:

23. roly says:

I tend to agree with mick with all he said I’ve always classed myself as working class there’s those who have far more wealth than me and some who have less they all get the same treatment

because I take people at face value no matter what they are they either like me or hate I always say I can be a good friend or bad enemy

like you say Mick I to give the old Jehovah’s witnesses time to talk well at least they take the time to call on me that’s more than our vicar does

I like to think I m a religious person although not going to church now only at weddings and funerals or Christmas

anyway I’ve bored the socks of you all with my ranting on and I thank god for letting me enjoy another day on this planet :yahoo: