corr, i dont half ache!!!!

The beds on the allotment were starting to dry out nicely until Fridays rain, now being rather sticky again it didn’t stop us going to lotti yesterday.

Hubby finished the double size compost heap whilst I cleared out the shed.

A plot holder friend had spare seeds so did I so I spent a nice few mins doing a seed swap – til be interesting to try different varieties.

Back to my plot n hubby had started making a new gate and I finished off weeding and digging a bed that I started last weekend but it got dark before I could finish it.

I laid more bark on the greenhouse floor whilst hubby continued on the new gate.

Lunch was soup heated on our camping stove with bread n washed down with coffee.

After our late lunch we both started weeding and digging another raised bed. This one wasn’t too bad as soil levels had built up and was draining  better.

We stopped for another coffee and decided to go for a wander around the allotment site, it’s always good to have a nose and see if there are any good ideas on other plots.

Back to our plot and I just had to get another bed dug, this one is very low in soil, it needs building up with lots of rich homemade compost. It was almost pure clay in places and every forkfull seemed to get heavier.  I picked a piece of clay up and rolled it like plastercene, It was grey in colour -I groaned.

By now my back is killing me, sharp pains in one’s area, fierce ache across the lower part and running up.my spine towards shoulder blades.

The muscle in my right lower arm is a killer (I suffer quite bad rsi) and over working it isn’t good for Monday mornings.

The bed dug whilst hubby had sown more onion seeds and alerted out what seeds to bring home to put in electric proprietor.

I’m glad I got that last killer bed dug as now I’m half way through the plot.  7 beds dug – 7 beds to go!

This morning, despite a soak in radox last night I don’t half ache.  But, …… I can’t wait to get down there again today dig a few more beds!…..

I didn’t half feel envious reading this Mary, and apart from the backache, I really wished it could be my account of how I spent Valentine’s Day. I’ll spare you a detailed account of decorating progress, but will simply say that the only letter I opened yesterday was a parking fine from Euro Car Parks. Will just comfort myself that at least I don’t have a plastic clay to deal with – and say “Well done, you – and keep it up. you lucky dog!”

2. Veggiepatch says:

Oh no that’s really sad and sorry you parking fine.

We made decision the 1st Valentine day as a couple that we won’t celebrate it, makes it easier and cheaper all round plus I can’t be bothered with it. I even forgot it was Valentine day yesterday until an advert came on the telly last night for Valentine roses! We’ve rented it Clinton’s day as lots people go made buying cards, chocolates, roses etc and prices are so inflated. I’d rather get a surprise bunch freesias or daffs than overpriced commercial roses which have little scent if any.
    Here is a bunch of gardenclickers roses as these will be perfectly scented and allotment grown as you had no card yesterday. :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Now pancake day I never forget and always make a few pancakes – yummy

Bravo Mary :good: …what a satisfying day :yahoo: and well, yes, it don’t ‘alf give one backache, but it goes after about three days :lol: :lol: :lol: xx

4. Hayley says:

I know exactly what you’re feeling Mary :good: When I was younger the pain didn’t last as long but now, oh boy. I heard an advert on the TV the other day advocating taking painkillers before gardening, bit risky doing that I thought. I already push myself too far and with no warning pain that could be disaster :rake: Bet your allotment’s lovely this time of year, full of anticipation :rose:

5. roly says:

is this a private thing or can anyone join in because I’ve been suffering from my shoulder blades aching for a time now

it started when I started using my chain saw and swinging an axe but despite this we went to help my daughter get her allotment ready for there annual spring inspection by the allotments committee so its now all tidy and ready for setting :good:

the allotments have some of the best soil I have ever seen or worked on lovely black soil a joy to dig :good:

there was quite a few people on there allotments do you think it was something to do with the impending visit by the committee :yes: I also noticed someone using one of those spades that saves ones back the no bend spade can’t think what they call them but I know there a bit expensive to buy these days :-(

I think back aches etc goes with territory so far as allotments and hedge cutting is concerned for me but all will be better one hopes when we get that spring sun on our backs :lol:

• dandlyon says:

You are thinking of the Terex spade Roly You pushed it into the soil with your foot, then pressed your foot on a spring loaded treadle that threw the soil forward, it was single trench digging. Went off the market years ago but now available again as Wolfe Terex. Quite a few novelty gardening tools came on the market just after the war, designed to help disabled ex service men. there was a spade and fork designed to be used by one armed people. Theres a guy visits agricultural shows with a huge collection of gardening tools from days past, some brilliantly engineered tools made in Birmingham by off shoot factories from Birmingham Small Arms and Webley and Scott

6. gibbon says:

if you have thrown it open, for what it’s worth hear is my little moan, over the last fortnight or so, I have cairfullway dug up and transplanted 10 4year old fruit trees and after concreating two post to put the wires on also transplanted a large bramble (thornless thank heavens )I will not bother to try to explain the pain and disconfert that I have had to put up with, but I have the satisfaction of knowing, pain or not I did it :good:

7. dandlyon says:

This is the very reason why I do a morning every day on my plot if its at all possible, little and often, I used to laugh at the old timers years ago when I was digging like fury, and yet by planting time they had caught me up and no aching backs ,arms and legs. This is why I do not grow winter veg now theres nothing in the way , so by this time of the year I have a blank canvas, all cleared and ready to plant . I will say that my ground is not sticky clay, two spades deep and into sand, Easy to dig drains easily and warms up quick the down side it takes a lot of water in the summer, caps over unless I keep busy with the hoe, and being free draining its also a hungry soil

• gibbon says:

you are right about what you saw as a strong younster, I was vthe same, then there was an old chap moved in next door to me ,he was 80, which in thoes days was a ripe old age, he was about as big as three piepots, but I watched him dig, -efertless, he did not have my strenth and he did not need it, when he saw me with my mouth agape, he said it’s rithem,,and I got what he ment it saved me meny a bad back Tony,

After years of paying chiropractics and Osteopaths with my back, I went to a sports physio who was great. She gave me exercises to strengthen my back and I try and do them every morning before breakfast. Also what to do if my back “goes” and I can barely move. But I still overdo it once I get started. I guess we are all the same and can’t resist doing “just a little more”, especially when we have been confined all winter and we have a rare sunny day.

9. gibbon says:

you can have a real strong back, and put it out easly,, it is all down to postur, people like us that handle gardening tools should make stud ding phernetics a way of life, :yes:

10. mick1970 says:

hello i was talking to a pal just last night about my energy levels and how the body damage is effecting me…….i used to take painkillers before i started not a good idea as hayley says you dont do yourself any favours as the pain the next day is not worth it :rage: ….the last couple of years has seen my change of styles no madness more like tony says little and often seems to work for him with success so thats the road am going down ……cliff pulling out all those fruit trees has been a struggle for him but the satisfaction was worth the effort…..i have changed the way i think me first now…. my garden is enough ……one thing is for sure i love it and sometimes you get took past your limits but is worth it……. i do my excercises in the morning switching the kettle on cilla :whistle: do what you can if its to much there is always tomorrow :yahoo: :rake:

11. roly says:

Terex that’s the one Tony the chap using it was making quite a good job but the ground as clear of weeds obviously been autumn dug it wouldn’t be any good for my allotment grounds to heavy the ground he was digging was like peat :yes:

also I have seen your man on a market selling second
    hand tools and other items its good quality stuff :good:

on the subject of fruit trees Gibb we had some wild blackberry bushes that produced loads of fruit but they had become overgrown so i cut them off to ground level will they produce a crop this year he says
    hopefully :whistle:

12. Veggiepatch says:

It seems we all suffer pains, I don’t mind back or shoulder pains after digging the plot, as long as I feel like I’ve achieved something.

I totally agree with you digging an hour each day, little and often but it’s so hard when its dark before and after work starting late autumn and you still have autumn and winter veg in the ground.

Now my mum and dads veg garden at home used to be sticky clay but after 30+ years of working the plot, lots of homemade compost etc, I can dig that in a couple of days as its a beautiful soil and a joy to dig over.

Mary.