Walk around South Norwood Country Park

Walk around South Norwood Country Park

IMG_3186.stripJPG

One of our favourite walking sites is here, where we always have, big skies, birds and swathes of wild flowers throughout the seasons. Today the predominant flora was May blossom and Cow Parsley.

IMG_3217m

After entering, the first thing I noticed were enormous buttercups, followed shortly by some fetching geese and ducks on one of the lakes. The park is now preserved as a wetland area, amongst other things.

IMG_3177sq

IMG_3180sq

IMG_3181m

IMG_3184m

Our walk led us along parsley fringed paths, and fields of fluffy, white blossoms, and the scent was delightful.

IMG_3193m

IMG_3194m

I soon had a field of buttercups to walk across too.

IMG_3198m

IMG_3200sq

Yellow water irises grew all along the stream.

IMG_3210.sqJPG

IMG_3211m

Every path was lined with cow parsley, and each corner provided new, delightful vistas.

IMG_3214m

IMG_3215.mJPG

IMG_3216m

The expanse of creamy white flowers was breathtaking.

IMG_3218rm

There was Green Alkanet, blue amongst the parsley blooms …..

IMG_3219sq

…as well as pink Hedgerow Cranesbill, and then we came upon more yellow.

IMG_3233sq

IMG_3242sq

It is the biggest, most beautiful laburnum tree I have ever seen.

IMG_3239rm

IMG_3241m

IMG_3243sq

I spotted Cherries and Guilder Rose and Hornbeam, different to ours at the Pres.

IMG_3247sq

IMG_3256sq

IMG_3264sqJPG

As we made our way back to an exit, those swathes of frothy, white Parsley dominated my senses. I have never before seen that flower looking so lovely.

IMG_3253.cmJPG

Anne ….. 17.05.2015

That was yesterday, and popping back to 28th April’s walk, confirms the changes I noticed in the green-ness and of course the abundance of beautiful parsley everywhere :yahoo:

Thank you for that walk in my lunchtime Anne :rose: …and think of all the wild life hidden in all those wild flower areas….Brill :good:

You’re welcome Susie :rose:
    Was tempted to plunge into the flowers myself, but there is a healthy amount of nettles in there too :wacko: :lol:

4. Wow, the cow parsley, don’t think I have seen so much growing in one place before, looks fab :-) such a lovely walk Anne.:rose:

5. What a wonderful, place, Anne and yes, masses of cow parsley and I thought I had a lot :lol:

6. Walt says:

Simply beautiful :yes:

That’s it Jane, and after your exchange with Cilla, when I realised that we were looking at the same plant family, I have so much more respect for it. :yahoo:

What a stupendous place, Anne! Not surprised it is one of your favourite walks – and I just wish your photographs could be accompanied by the smell of it all. Nature’s mass plantings certainly put everyone competing at Chelsea into the shade……..this gets my vote for Best in Show.

:lol: what a great way to put it Sheila :good: I am hoping that today’s wind and rain didn’t wipe it all out as I think I need better photos…it was so fabulous :rose:

10. mick1970 says:

Lovely anne not done much walking lately you can do it for me

With pleasure Mick :yes: :rose: … I have to return soon and see the cow parsley again :yahoo:

Just seen this Anne. Wowser, that cow parsley is spectacular. Another beautiful walk and great photos. It is the most wonderful time of the year and so fleeting, we have to absorb every moment. I just love the scent of cow parsley and hawthorn and I also love the smell of rape flowers although I know it gives people hay fever. :rose: :wacko:

• gertie says:

Thank you Cilla :yes: I think it must be rape we see growing in the yellow fields en route to Somerset. When I open the car windows, the scent is intoxicating, and oddly enough, I don’t get hay fever from that one :unsure: :wacko:

13. Bill says:

Hi Anne, A stunning set of photos of a very beautiful Park. Being an ex Londoner I have to admit that I had never heard of this Park even though I did not live too far away.
    I did a google search, and I was amazed to see how this park was created, you may be interested if you have not already read this ;

I have, but thanks for the link Bill, :rose: and I’m sorry I didn’t put it on myself, cos to be honest I am still not 100% sure how to do that :rake: It always tickles me to know that one of our favourite walks was once partly a sewerage farm! It smelt very sweet, however, last Sunday. :good: