taking on an allotment

I suspect like most towns villages where there are allotments to rent you get people come and go

maybe they move out of the area  or just can’t hack it and give it up  and we get a new face taking on the plot that’s normally overgrown with weed grass and nettles etc

looking at the plot for the first time is very disheartening to say the least after its  been  left to return back to mother nature

so what to I have people come tome to ask for my advise because there totally unsure how to bring the plot back to life

all I can do is tell them how I got all my plots back in shape from an overgrown wilderness to something to grow vegetables

so this is how I stared completely prayed the hole are with roundup the after about three weeks turned the ground over giving half of the plot a good helping of manure

although it took another season to get my head round the soil quality and rotation of the cropping there was a real absence of perennial weeds meaning I only had to deal with the normal weed population that was swiftly dealt with a sharp hoe

I still use roundup for control of weeds round the edge of the garden fences etc that lasts all summer and keeps the allotment tidy

I know chemicals are not for all but it proved the best and easiest way to bring my allotment back to life something that would grow  decent veg crops

of cause there’s those who care to do there own thing after asking my advise and it proved it this year after a gentleman and lady took two plots on at the beginning of the year hired a rotovator for weekend that was a complete waste of time ended up leaving the plot to go back to nature all summer

as there is a waiting list for plots it deprived someone who wanted to grow veg the chance and despite the parish council warning them to tidy up and cultivate they took no notice and the council had to pay someone to cut the grass and weeds to tidy it up

so the moral of this is think very carefully before committing yourself to an allotment

1. AliCat says:

It is a shame for someone to go to all that trouble and then leave it to go to pot again.
    Even more annoying if there is a waiting list of people who would relish the plot to work with.

I have found that most weed killers are useless on the tough weeds we have here so we hand weed and dig the roots out, its very hard work but following the recent bad publicity on Roundup its probably not such a bad idea.

2. roly says:

I can only speak as I find Alicat roundup has been the best thing I’ve used to clean up my allotment to rid me twitch grass and docks not to mention nettles

I’ve even got control of bind weed that’s proven better cropping I don’t know the bad publicity on roundup but I certainly will continue to use it where its needed

and your rite it is annoying these people that deprive others by taking on an allotment and then walking away from it hopefully there now at the end of the waiting list for allotments :rage:

Have just learned from a Food Security course that some weeds can adapt to Roundup and are no longer killed by it. More worrying is the fact that some food crops bred to be used in conjunction with Roundup, survive the application, but absorb the chemical which then pops up in the food chain.

4. mick1970 says:

I do use weed killers on hard surfaces paths etc ….were am going to put my food not a chance…..i read somewhere about roundup being and it backs what shelia says,,,,best thing for weeds is the hard way manually, i have very little weeds even the bind weed is slowly being driven out…..Monsanto is a dangerous company …my opinion

5. Walt says:

Quite…When I took on my allotment (10 perch) in was overgrown with all kinds of weeds…the Letting Secretary said…’We can spray it with Roundup’…reply…’No thank you, I’ll do it my way’ :yes:

6. roly says:

well well we all have preference’s on what or not to use but I care to take where ever possible the easy route and one that proves the best for my allotment

if that means using roundup or any other form of chemical that’s not proven harmful to cropping and the wildlife then us it will and continue to do so

I seen many farmers using roundup this year prior to harvesting to rid themselves of black grass so are the corn crops effected that go into the food chain I don’t think so

but then again its up to the individual what one prefers but I know one thing our ground has never been so clean of perennial weeds

and spraying has proven to eradicate the troublesome redshank that has been a real pain on our ground for
    many years growing that I harvested the onion crop this year and that particular ground hadn’t been sprayed with roundup but after spraying with roundup the ground is absolutely clean not a redshank in sight

never mind boys we will agree to disagree you keep digging the weeds out and I will use my old roundup :lol: