Evolution of a pond
We moved to our cottage in March 2011. The garden was the main attraction, as well as the property being off the road and the main boundary being a farmer’s field. The bottom of the garden was a bit open. The house in the photo was recently built and the owners had planted a laurel hedge but the plants at this stage were tiny.
The veg garden was very small, surrounded by daffs and there was a small patch of rhubarb. By Feb 2012, I had a much larger veg plot and some snow!
And in March, I had started growing a few more crops:
By 2015, I was itching for a pond. Many clickers (and a couple of neighbours) have one and I wanted my own frog spawn, too!! My first imaginings were for a pond in a pot. I really couldn’t dig up my veg garden; or could I? Afterall, I was getting better veg from my raised beds at the front of the house compared with the original veg plot.
The ground wasn’t good enough really as can be seen from the selection of nails dug up when digging the pond.
These came mostly out of the strip where you see the sage plant!
So we got going. It’s bigger than I expected. In this pic, you can still see the sage plant before I moved it. There are 3 shelves to the pond.
No photos but we used some carpet and cardboard to line it first before proper pond underlay and then liner. This is the water going in from one of our 5 rain butts.
We used gravel on the 3 layers (taken from the other side of the house around the raised beds), all carefully washed of soil, and then I moved some nice big stones from around the garden to the edge of the pond.
The ‘beach’ area is where the birds like to have a bath and I’m hoping the frogs will lay their spawn here next year!
Most of the top soil was used to make a bank for tall grasses.
I can’t wait to see what it will all look like next year! And I hope this critter will love the water!