down on the allotments

took a look to our allotments the other day hadn’t  been down there for a few weeks since I tidied up the plots and  ploughed it

the plots  looked sodden with water and dismal like they had shut down for winter a couple of razed beds with leeks and a few winter cabbage the fruit bushes lifeless and where ever you walked one had 2ins mud attached to the willies

what a difference looking back a few months before when the ground was dry and workable

having  decided to do a couple of jobs on the allotment before spring where certainly dashed apart from the odd visit to pick some leeks it looks like the allotments going  to closed till spring

1. AliCat says:

I hope you meant your 2inches of mud on your Wellies Roly, otherwise you have a serious mud issue ;-)

OOer Roly, sounds rather dismal…hope it all dries up for you soon…how is the garden? :rose:

BTW …..
    what’s a pingback? :confused:

3. dandlyon says:

Roly have you thought of growing a few potatoes in half drums?, it need not cost a fortune to fill the drums,.We have a chap brings us manure that has wood shavings in it, over 12 months it rots down enough to use as a growing medium for potatoes, just add a potato fertiliser, it what I use in my drums. One way to over come the clay and slugs

4. roly says:

I profusely apologise for that spelling error brain now in gear and rightly the mud is certainly on the wellies and not on presumable other parts unless I was swimming in the mud that I was most certainly not doing although I have been known to do some silly things but mud swimming is out of the question

anyway I liked your humorous replies the only downside was the wife gave me some ear bashing

so back to business the answer is yes we do plant some potatoes in drums well the wife does Tony more or less the same as you have mentioned but only for our early potatoes

the main crop goes in the allotment we usually plant around 30k every year but we didn’t seem to get much slug damage other years maybe it was that particular piece of ground that had our raspberry bushes removed and set with potatoes

Ann I’m confused pingback :lol:

Please don’t apologise for THAT spelling mistake, Roly – I enjoyed it immensely. In fact, it will warm the cockles of my heart the next time I am outside looking at the wreckage of this year’s garden.

I,m having fun just getting up the garden to see to the hens as the garden is so boggy now, do try different routes to try to save the lawn, but once I enter the run well that’s another story :confused:
    And Roly I loved your spelling mistake as it certainly made me smile and on a grey wet miserable day it’s just what I needed :-) :good:

I still don’t understand Pingbacks :-( ;-) but I loved the ‘wellies’ :lol: :dance:

8. Walt says:

Pingbacks are emails & ‘notifications on login’ when another comments on clicks you commented on……it does not apply to ‘Blogs’ etc’;-)

9. roly says:

well there you go Walt to the rescue as for the rest of the gang thank you for your lovely replies I’m pleased if I can put a little sunshine in your day I know we have some lovely topics on this site and I’m pleased to have so many good friends to share these with

I’m thick skin Alicat the wife did see the funny side of it when she read it she said your a little :devil: or words to that effect never mind the mistletoe’s coming I said her reply no chance :lol:

teehee….bon courage with the mistletoe Roly :good: et your OH wouldn’t like it if you didn’t try at least :lol: :good:

11. Yewbarrow says:

know just how you feel Roly, our plots are the same, had ordered some horse muck about 2 months ago – no chance – the supplier couldn’t get her trailer off her field and we certainly couldn’t barrow it onto the plot

12. Len says:

went down to the allotment this after. picked some sprouts and dug up a few leeks. was surprised when 1 other plot holder turned up. must admit it looks bleak at the mo. merry Christmas to all. hopefully we will be back working the land as soon as poss. :good:

I do hope so, Len. Don’t like all these dreary days and long dark nights. Have lots of leeks, and had better get them used up as quickly as possible, or they will all be running to seed. Have a lovely Christmas!