Straw Bale Growing

Came across this article in an American Farming periodical, and thought it might be of general interest.  I am particularly interested in the fact that the article states that the method is  suitable in areas with a short season – and I have doubts whether I could grow squash and peppers up here with the changes to our summer season which I attribute to climate change.  But I envisage that I could plant into a straw bale in the greenhouse, and lift it outside when frost is past.

hay-bale-hero

Thanks for posting this Sheila, I’ve often thought about giving this a go, might be tempted now. :good:

Am tempted too now as I,m always disappointed with the peppers, have read somewhere to grow strawberry s this way, do wonder if the slugs would find it hard to get to them too :good:

3. Yewbarrow says:

I know of someone that did potatoes on top of the ground and then covered in loads of straw and he said it worked and was so easy to harvest

Thank you for that Bean, I had never heard of it but it was a fascinating read. It would be fun to try if we had the space but I can imagine OH’s face if I put one on the lawn! It sounds like a good idea for you to try if you can source a couple of bales. I would love to see how it works over here.

What I found most interesting was the fact that the preparation of the bales causes decomposition and the production of heat. I should imagine plants will simply romp away, given all that bottom heat – and to end up with a pile of ready made compost is just a brilliant bonus.

6. SIMONDO says:

Just a word of caution …you do need the bale to “decompose” to give heat as that is part of the benefit of this method. The bales become Very heavy with all the water you need to give them and after a while less easy to move without destroying there structural integrity so you might need to have them in there growing position from the start. There will need to be N P K going in to help with the nutrient robbing of decomposition and they do take a lot of watering if you don’t find a way of stoping wind evaporation. When you are done with the Bales you will need to have the space to compost them finally..and i can tell you from personal experience of bales…they will surprise you how much they contain when you cut the strings. If you don’t mind the above then it might be interesting.