Cilla’s Village Garden Walkabout.

At a First Friday at the end of last year people were asked for their ideas on how to make more use of the village hall. I did suggest dancing lessons which haven’t been followed up but after a couple of glasses of wine I suggested visiting each others gardens. To my surprise, quite a few people  agreed and so, after some organisation and coercing, I gathered together 13 gardens and 10 cake makers and yesterday afternoon we set off on our village “nosy” Luckily it stayed dry even if the sun wasn’t in evidence. We started off at the houses on one side of the main road, many of which are large old farmhouses and, as you will see, large gardens with great views. I am disappointed that I couldn’t capture the colour very well, I think I am better at wildlife, but it gives you an idea of the diverse styles of gardens.

IMG_7966 IMG_7967

This is  Paul’s Himalayan Musk rose climbing a tree. The photo just doesn’t do it justice.

IMG_7969 IMG_7970 IMG_7971 IMG_7972

I love these little seating areas.

IMG_7977 IMG_7978 IMG_7979 IMG_7980

I was surprised how many people keep chickens. These houses are on the opposite side of the road with smaller gardens.

IMG_7983 IMG_7985 IMG_7990 IMG_7991

The next one is my friend’s beautiful cottage garden and her neighbour with the only thatched cottage in the village.

IMG_7993 IMG_7995 IMG_7996 IMG_7999 IMG_8000 IMG_8002 IMG_8004 IMG_8009

On to my road now. I was so busy telling people what certain plants were called that I forgot to take any photos so here are some taken earlier in the week in the sunshine. OH said the cats were sitting inside looking amazed at the garden invasion!!!

IMG_7931 IMG_7934 IMG_7935 IMG_7940 IMG_7941 IMG_7943

Off down the close and round the corner.

IMG_8013 IMG_8017 IMG_8018 IMG_8020 IMG_8022 IMG_8023

5p.m., feet aching, raging thirst and back to the village hall for much needed refreshments.

IMG_8027 IMG_8029

The last photos were taken on the way home. This is an ex council house garden which the owner really wanted to open but her husband wasn’t happy to be invaded so she kindly gave me a private viewing. It was gorgeous, broken up into three areas. At the bottom was the veggie and fruit area with more chickens, I didn’t photograph the middle garden as the washing was hanging out! The garden near the house was ornamental with a little pond, just delightful.

IMG_8030 IMG_8031 IMG_8032 IMG_8033

By then it was 6.30, I was exhausted but very happy and trotted off home to feed the kits and have a lovely cold glass of wine. I hope you enjoyed your garden visit from the comfort of your chairs as much as I did.

1. Oh, Cilla, what a perfect afternoon! The gardens are so different but all beautiful and I would think everyone enjoyed it as much as you! Well done for coming up with the idea and I wish I could have gone around with you – it was a lovely walk :rose:

2. Allan says:

Plenty of variety there Cill,Well done, :good:

What a lovely village you live in Cilla :good:
    Beautiful photos :good: of wonderful gardens and green spaces :good:
    Well done Cilla :love: :rose: … that was impressive :good: and how long have you lived there?!

• cilla says:

Thank you Anne. We have lived here now for seven years. I’m glad you enjoyed it. It is a lovely village and the only way I have met all these people is through village hall activities. Had to take a deep breath when attending things the first few times but was made very welcome. We also have a really good bus service between Loughborough and Nottingham, every half hour which runs until about 11 at night. No village shop but the next village has one. :good:

Absolutely impressive, Cilla. I shudder to think how hard the village collectively must have worked to produce so many gardens for yesterday – and all at the top of their game. And I’m just wondering how many of your neighbours will conspire to render you senseless / speechless with wine the next time the community wants more bright ideas. .Seriously, a really good initiative – and some great gardens. It’s a beautiful place.

• cilla says:

Thank you Bean. Some of these people go to work, have children and hectic social lives so it was impressive how good their gardens looked, especially after such bad weather. I’m going to harass the committee for dancing lessons now for long winter nights :lol:

Brilliant idea Cilla, and yes I enjoyed every minute looking round your village gardens. As others have said, what a lovely village you live in and what a wonderful effort by all involved. :good:

Thank you Karen. Photos wil go on the village hall website and Facebook so it would be nice if more people in the village would like to join in so we can do it all again another year.

7. AliCat says:

Thank you for the tour or the gardens Cilla. They are all lovely gardens, and it shows how we all do things in our own little style. The thatched cottage is beautiful I have house envy as well as garden envy ;-)
    Its really good that you have such a nice community and a good way of being able to meet people, local village halls and churches are a boon to many more rural areas and worth their weight in gold :good:

Evening Ali and thank you. It is a lovely village and we had a great afternoon. Glad it was last saturday as things are flopping, going over and generally behaving badly!