Gertie’s Garden Birds.

Gertie’s Garden Birds.

img_7904m

As I walked to my Den this morning I glimpsed through the defrosting condensation on the windows, bird shapes in the Holly tree. Was it a Starling with that long, sharp beak?

img_7906m

Certainly a Fieldfare is back, and it’s basking in the sunshine now come round to warm the garden.

img_7905m

img_7909m

Zooming in showed me that it was indeed a Starling; a young one I think by its subsequent boldness [tempered by timidity or wisdom?] adorned in a fine, speckled winter plumage.

img_7918m

img_7919m

There were movements in the tree branches of at least one other bird, [the Blackbird?] but these two sat and basked, totally, it seemed to me, aware of each other, and I watched, and wondered ….. What happened next surprised me …..

img_7920m

img_7921m

The Starling, observing that the Fieldfare had a lion’s share of the sunshine, had fluttered down through the branches to rest close to the basking bird, but Starling was still in shade …. hesitating …..

img_7922m

Shortly thereafter, the Starling flew away, clearly not able to get close enough to the sunlight as the Field Fare was not budging!

img_7923m

starlingx5

That’s the second time I have spotted the Fieldfare this week, [ no doubt having missed other opportunities ] and the first time I have seen the Starling there. I am glad that the Holly tree, which supports birds with insects during the Spring and Summer, provides them with a feast of berries in the Winter.

Anne ….. 05.01.2017

1. Great pics Anne, I hope we get a good day for the birdwatch later this month?? :good: :good:

Thanks Lynn …I tried to clean the windows this afternoon, but can’t reach behind the double glazing so will have to carry on with blurry pics. :confused:
    As for the bird watch, will I be here or there? :-) Must check :good: :rose:

3. How lucky is that to have those beautiful birds so close together!!!

:good: :lol: Double whammy Jane! They are gorgeous. :rose:

5. Allan says:

Anne, it looks like a redwing and not a fieldfare, :good: :rose:

Allan is absolutely right [ in best parliamentary language ;-) ] shall attempt to edit blog.

Cannot edit blog … so please read REDWING where it saysField Fare.

Watched at least three Redwings this morning [they usually fly in in bundles :lol: ] … sharing with a big, fat Pigeon! :good:

• VegVamp says:

Anne, you should be able to edit it if you use the “write your own blog” link at the top right of the page. Under the title of each blog, that you have already published, you should see the links “edit” “delete” and “preview”, if you can see those then click edit and away you go. Try it and let me know. :good:

Thank you Karen :love: … that’s what I thought but the ‘edit’ button wasn’t there this time :confused: I’ll try again. :rose:

Preview Status: Published | Author: gertie | Words: 248 | 20 hours ago | 10 | Categories: Gardening Blogs
    this is all I got Karen xx

There was usually an ‘edit’ right at the beginning of the strap line, so I don’t know what has happened to it … it’s not on any of them now, so have to be EXTRA CAREFUL when typing ;-) :rose

12. dixon says:

Nice close ups gertie, :good: not a lot of bird activity in my garden but Mr and Mrs blackie still call in most days. :lol:

Hi Dixon :high-five: Thanks … Yes, I have regular visits from at least one pair of Blackbirds :good: Thought the Starling was one at first! :rose:

What lovely pictures Anne and as usual with a lovely description of their goings on too :good: :-)

Thank you Karen, that’s kind of you :love: Am glad you are up and running better now…what a Winter it is for colds!! :bad: :rose:

16. roly says:

talking about birds the feathery kind of cause my farmer friend and me where cutting a hedge down the field the other day i was amazed to see several red kites flying around us what a lovely bird we stood watching them for quite a time they never seemed to take any notice of our chain saws working

we also seen some buzzard’s also fling around us scanning the area my friend John got a bit worried when he seen many pigeon’s flying above us because he had a field of rape growing in the next field and as we know rape is a delicacy to the pigeon but i think the pigeons where more concerned to get away those other birds

:lol: Reckon those Buzzards would have a daily feast Roly :good:
    I have been watching from the window again this afternoon, before it darkened too much. Got a few nice shots of the local Blue Titmice, plus a lone Magpie, quite strange :confused: , and the starling.
    Robin stayed out of reach, though earlier he had been chasing around in loops and swirls again, presumably getting rid of interlopers on his patch :lol: