England’s Green and Pleasant Land.

England’s Green and Pleasant Land.

Palm Sunday Weekend in Somerset … Day Three.

After Judith had finished the Easter Buns, she and Jann dragged me off for a two mile hill walk to fetch some Wild Garlic. It was smashing!

We passed white blossoms of Blackthorn, and a debate was set up as Jude said it was called Hawthorn when she was a child … she hales from Yorkshire. Needless to say, I then spotted creamy Hawthorn blossoms on already leafy boughs to confirm the differences between the two.

In this field are very old Oak trees dating back, rumour has it, to Henry-V111 times. Many have died of old age but there are still some crackers left.

There were wild flowers on the banks and field edges too.

This is our favourite Oak tree on the grassy hillside.

We traipsed back through the village where there were different flowers.

… back to the familiar view of a distant hillside …

…and a dinner feast of Beef brisket …

… scrumptious roast potatoes …

… and the best Yorkshire puddings I have ever seen!!!

And was I tired after that walk? ….. no! It invigorated me and my knacketty knees are all the better for it ….. so regular walking again from now on!

Anne ….. 09.04.2017.

Lovely blog Anne and yes most definitely that feel of our green and pleasant land in those pictures too, lovely oak tree :love: :good: :-)

I had it on each journey Karen, that little refrain going thro’ my head :lol:
    We love that Oak :rose: tree and rumour has it that it grew[if indeed it wasn’t actually planted by his orders] in the reign of Henry V111

What beautiful scenery Anne and lovely old oak trees……….brisket looked rather yummy too ;-)

It was a lovely walk. and so much the nicer for being in the green-ness of the countryside with the children too …. and yes Cilla, that brisket was yummy :lol: :rose:

5. dixon says:

I think we are so lucky gertie, without the rain it wouldn’t be the same………love the hymn to ……. :-)

:good: It still makes me feel warm and fuzzy, that weekend, the countryside, the hymn …… not to mention the Wild Garlic soup made from the proceeds :lol: :rose:

PS BTW, I rang daughter, Sadie in Montpellier earlier and apparently it’s very, very hot there!! :confused: :rose:

8. gonewest says:

Wild garlic pesto is easy to make and rather lovely. A little goes a long way too. Also garlic bread made with said pesto. Not had time to get out there and pick any this year. Hopefully there’ll still be plenty around post wedding in “my secret not-too-doggy spot”. Not sure exactly how secret my secret spot is, but I never see anyone else there when I go so I figure it’s not hugely popular with dog-walkers. We have had some lovely weather for walkies lately haven’t we?

Brilliant Lizzie … will ask son to make me a pot… he sees the stuff all the time and he loves cooking :good: :lol:

How lucky your grandchildren are to grow up in those surroundings, Anne. They stand a great chance of a real old fashioned childhood with bags of freedom, fresh air and lots of exercise. It’s a lovely bit of country, and priceless for children.

I could not agree more Sheila :good: … and it’s great for visiting grannies too :lol: