Rutland Water

What a glorious warm, hot even, spring day, just perfect for bird and wildlife watching. The lagoons were as still as mill ponds and as blue as the sky above them. Here are a few of the birds and butterflies we saw, the highlight being the ospreys, of course. Maya is sitting on 3 eggs which should be hatching in the next 2 or 3 days. I was lucky to get the photo as the nest is on the other side of the lagoon. The other big excitement was seeing 3 water voles swimming across the channel between the reeds! I think that was a first for us. We also saw a hare on Lax Hill but too quick for a photo.

Greenshank

Greenshank.

Redshank

Bottoms Up!

Egyptian Goose

Brimstone

Orange Tip

Orange Tip

Blurry Shelduck!

Lapwing

Lapwing

Mrs Maya Osprey and male Osprey.

Warbler, probably Sedge

Warbler

I could feel the peace of that place Cilla – and am so glad it is there for the wild-life. I will never have the knowledge that you have about species etc, but that did not prevent me from enjoying that quality. Lovely photographs, thank you.

I so wish I could share it with you all Bean, we are very lucky to have it less than an hour away. They hold events too, dry stone walling days, children’s days pond dipping, evening badger watching. Apart from the state of our world, politically, it must be wonderful to be a youngster and have the opportunities to work in these environments and make it a career. :good:

3. A serene place indeed, Cilla and lovely it’s so close to you :-)

Thank you Cilla … I echo all these comments, and it’s lovely that you do share places with us with these cracking photographs and all your horticultural knowledge :good: :rose:

What a lovely journey through Rutland Cilla, thank you so much I enjoyed every second – and I lingered for a long time. :-) As the others have said, a beautifully peaceful place, you lucky girl. :good:

6. Allan says:

And it’s a well known fly fishing venue Cill, Some really nice photos there, :good:

Lovely walk round in my lunch hour Cills :good:

I’m glad you all enjoyed it. Have you spotted the baby grebe humbugs on mum’s back in picture five?

9. Allan says:

Cant fault them Cill. :good:

Now you point them out …. humbugs :lol: … baby wild piggies are called humbugs too :lol: :silly: