TWO THINGS I BROUGHT BACK FROM THE NEC

Two things came back from the NEC with me, number one was the memory of time spent in sunny weather chatting with clicker friends new and old, the other was an introduction to Thrive. This is using gardening to change the lives of people who are living with disabilities ill health or who are isolated, disadvantaged or vulnerable. The students chose the subject for the garden, based on the life of Beatrix Potter.
The railway represents her journey through life, the alpines signifying her determination and changing emotions of sadness light and happiness.
She married and moved to the Lake District hence the trunk and the for sale notice. Her husband died and she suffered a period of depression, but came out of it through her gardening and writing, eventually remarrying .
I was impressed with this as I encouraged our allotment a few years ago to get involved with a local sensory garden, at a day centre for partly sighted and blind people,

1. Lovely, Tony :-) It never ceases to amaze how therapeutic gardening really is :-)

2. Profile photo of cilla cilla says:

Sadly I missed this garden but, as Jane says, gardening has been seen to have untold benefits over the last few years.

3. Profile photo of dixon dixon says:

:good:

4. Profile photo of Beanstew Beanstew says:

I saw very little really of all the activity going on at Gardeners’ World – and there was so much of it that I don’t think it could be done adequately in one day. But you were right to single out the message being conveyed by Thrive. No matter how technologically dependent we become, there is still a quality of peace and satisfaction to be got from handling soil that is hard to find any other way.

5. Profile photo of VegVamp VegVamp says:

A great blog Tony, and delighted you highlighted this. I think we have all felt that lifting of spirits when we get out to the garden, so it’s wonderful that Thrive are doing this to help people. And yes, such lovely, happy memories of all the Clickers who met up.

6. Profile photo of Walt Walt says: