A walk around the garden: part 3

Down the east side of the garden to the pond

What you see here is the actual east boundary ditch. We have a fence behind the old elder tree on the left that is covered in ivy. It’s very narrow and dark between the fence and the path and as an old holly tree needs cutting back, I don’t go down there very often.

Old east boundary ditch

So, instead, we’re taking the grass path to the south end of the garden. I’m standing at the end of the terrace on the east side of the house.

Path on east side

A couple of yards down the grass path I look left and slightly back and can see the fence line behind the mahonia. This area is covered in cyclamen in their flowering season.

East boundary fence

Now I carry on along the path. You can see the old chicken shed in the distance.

East path to south boundary

If I look back now I can see the old apple tree that the starlings nest in every year.

Apple tree with starling nest-hole

But if I look to the right, I can see the wild bit in the centre of the garden with the oak, birch and beech.

Wild wooded bit

So, from the terrace onwards we’ve walked from here…

East path to pond from house

…to here, the great willowherb on the corner of the pond. The brick you can see is my neighbour’s house, now almost totally obscured.

Great willowherb at pond

We walk along this woodchip path with the banked area at east side of the pond.

Woodchip path next to pond bank

The woodchip path takes us right to the south ditch boundary, marked by the old chicken shed which has an old apple tree leaning against it and the pond is to the right.

South boundary

I reach the chicken shed and look right at the far side of the pond. The wooden frame is for my autumn raspberries.

Facing north east from pond

I’m at the corner, just past the chicken shed.

West corner of pond

I’ve walked around and have the compost bin screening behind me. There’s a lot of growth around the pond this year.

Some foliage around the pond

I continue around. You can see the autumn raspberry frame and great willow herb from a different viewpoint.

Facing east, pond on right

But I walk right around again to give you a long view of the garden from the pond to the house.

Long view from pond

Now, if you’re as tired as me, find a seat and have your drink of choice!

1. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Golly…am going to Google all this Jane and fit your descriptions to the map!!
    That pond has grown hasn’t it? It looks very well established and very big!
    I think your wild garden is fabulous and even better than I knew it would be ….. .if that makes sense :lol: :rose:

2. Profile photo of cilla cilla says:

This all looks like my kind of garden, Jane. Lots of secret bits and loads of trees and shade, you must love it. :love: I bet the wildlife are having a ball in there!

3. Profile photo of dandlyon dandlyon says:

Lovely garden Jane, with a garden like that I would rarely be indoors :good:

4. Profile photo of Beanstew Beanstew says:

I wouldn’t go anywhere else very much either, Jane. I’ve been trying in my mind to sum up your garden, and the word that most springs to mind is “therapeutic”. You have captured that quality that I used to experience from my surroundings, as a youngster sprawled in grass under a great beech tree with a book in my hand. This is the sort of garden and gardening that doctors should prescribe for patients – but they aren’t often available, because most gardeners interfere too much. Do you think that quality comes from the trees?

• Have to agree with you, Sheila – the trees make all the difference and because of them, the garden has its own microclimate and offers shade and the opportunity to see light in a different way. I love picture of you sprawled and reading under a beech tree – bliss! If we had lawn rather than paths, the atmosphere would be completely different and certainly less therapeutic for me. We were lucky to find it – the oak is about 50 years old and therefore not something often seen in the middle of a garden! We have the papers for planning permission that expired about 10 years ago – build a big house but the main horror was getting rid of 5 of the trees, including the 3 in the middle. Needless to say, that would have made it a whole different place.

5. Profile photo of dixon dixon says:

About time you showed off your garden jane. :good: great pics

6. Profile photo of karenp karenp says:

What a lovely garden Jane, definitely the sort I like, it’s like a secret garden and love the old chicken shed, bet lots of wildlife make use of it too :good: :-)

• Oh, thank you, Karen :-) Yes, you’d be interested in the old chicken shed – it holds some gardening junk and wood and I know critters have been in there because of the shredded bags ;-) Trying to grow a honeysuckle over it but it going the wrong way :confused:

7. Profile photo of shedsue shedsue says:

It’s magical Jane :good: …just as a garden should be, room for flowers, veg, wildlife and of course you…. :good: :rose: …and the main thing is, to enjoy it :good:

8. Profile photo of Hayley Hayley says:

Wow Jane! I know you said it was wild but it’s a veritable wilderness. I’m sure that a stroll around it throws up many points of interest every minute of every day; definitely my type of place. Beautiful! :-) :love: