Some Festive Fun

Dix has suggested a little “Festive Fun” in the form of some Christmas Music on the site, and our own Music Man, Walt, has agreed to run it for us.

The idea is to have a festive song each day, which Walt will select from suggestions from the rest of us. Each clicker will be allowed one request each day and Walt may carry forward as many requests as he wants from day to day. It can be any kind of music you want, as long as it has a Christmas theme. The deadline for requests each day will be 10pm so that Walt has time to make his selection and post the music.

We are going to start it this Friday so get your thinking caps on. I will add a new blog for the requests on Friday, so that they will all be in the one place for Walt.

Many thanks to Dix for his idea and Walt for running it.

How lovely … what fun! thank you Dixon, Walt and Karen :love: :fairysaysouch: :love: :fairysaysouch: :love: :fairysaysouch: :rose:

2. dixon says:

Hi gang, as there aint a lot of gardening going on at this time of year I thought a little of our favorite Christmas songs or carols on the run up to the Big day.. Many thanks to Walt for agreeing to do it all and also to Karen for hooking it all together. :walt: :rose:
    P.S. Dont forget the photo comp as well, get clicking.

What a blooming good idea! I’ve always loved the music associated with Christmas, because it contributes to the whole experience – and :walt: has a great knowledge of music. We are extremely lucky to have :walt: to do this for us – and if the “Powers That Be” want to try it out before Friday, could I nominate “In The Bleak Midwinter” – it hits the spot exactly, and we have some appropriate weather forecast.

Good idea dix. Although I don’t love xmas there is some lovely music and Walt is definitely the man to dig it out ;-)

Wow that was, as Karen says, hauntingly beautiful. I loved the pictures too. Walt you are a star. :rose:

I just find that piece of music so mood-setting – effective when sung by a choir, but even more effective when an instrumental version includes a harp. I hadn’t heard that one before, Walt – and I do thank you for introducing it to me.

7. AliCat says:

Ooh lots of choices, but I think I will put my bad humour in and ask for Grandma got run over by a reindeer :devil: :SantaSimon:

Thanks for The Little Drummer Boy, Walt. The first time I heard this, I was struck by the different interpretation made by a different culture – and I thought the life and joy in this version was very upbeat.

9. dixon says:

It would have to be a classic for me. When a child is born. Johnny Mathis.⛄️

Love that one too. That’s what makes this “task” so difficult – we are really so fond of all the Christmas music. My choice today is “Oh Come All Ye Faithful”.

The Pogues, A Fairytale of New York, well someone has to bring the tone down. ;-)

Oh Karen, was just going to do that one…you’ve done it for me!! :lol: :good: :rose:

13. I put this on the other page yesterday. Not sure if it wasn’t chosen or wasn’t seen but no problem if either:
    Christmas is for families. I love Tim Minchin. Therefore, my suggestion is ‘White Wine In The Sun’ by Tim Minchin.

An alternative from me is Bob Dylan’s ‘Must be Santa’.

Goodness Jane, that was long. I’ve never ever heard of Tim Minchin but it brought to mind Tom Lehrer. An interesting alternative Christmas song.

I would also like, when there is a slot, The Treorchy Male Voice choir singing Silent Night in Welsh please…..spine tingling. ;-)

Just loving all the different types of music, and having great fun listening to everyone’s choices. Please come home for Christmas, is my request for today please Walt. It’s a great Eagles song but the BB King version is wonderful.

Last Christmas …. Wham?

:lol: Don’t like the grandma one :confused: yuk! :lol: Have another suggestion but maybe have contributed my share already? Am enjoying the selection anyways…thanks Walt. : :rose:

“Banc Sabadell’s” 130 anniversary celebration by a Flash mob, performing Beethoven ‘s Ode to Joy please Walt, for the feeling it gives.

I’m beginning to feel really Christmassy – and I swear it is all down to your efforts Walt, that have stopped me being really cynical about the marketing HooHa. If you get a moment today, can you please play Charlotte Church singing, “What Child Is This”. Many thanks.

21. dixon says:

Well done Walt keep up the good work. :good: my choice for today, silent night, holly night rafael scarfullery. ;-)

Okay, if I can nominate another, maybe if there’s a gap? …. ‘Shepherds’ Farewell’, from L’Enfance du Christ, by Berlioz. :rose:
    It’s one of the most haunting pieces of music I know …. beware ‘ear-worms’!! :confused:

23. Jenn says:

OK, this isn’t a particularly Christmassy Christmas song but it’s Dame blumming Emma Kirkby and Mozart and one of my absolute favourite pieces of music. I always associate it with Christmas as I dig out her CDs at this time of year….my nomination for today is Laudate Dominum (the version with the Winchester Cathedral Choir is just perfection).

24. Jenn says:

Thank you Walt, lovely :rose: Oh to be able to have such control like that.

Loved the gentle guitar rendition of Silent Night Walt :good: :rose: :fairysaysouch:

So did I, Anne. Playing everyone’s favourite Christmas music was a really good idea.

27. dixon says:

Thanks Walt a gifted musician, :walt:

28. I love the whole album Radiant Awakening by Ranga. Please, Walt, play Myriads in 3 – the one put up by Shiftsinreality because of the accompanying visuals. This will calm everyone before the frenzy of Christmas :kissme:

My request for today is O Holy Night Please Walt, Emer Barry’s Celtic version I find stunning, but your choice of singer. I am not in the least religious, but all kinds of music has always moved me and this is beautiful.

30. Jenn says:

My choice today is Let It Snow by the sublime Ella Fitzgerald – this is the one that get’s you dancing round the kitchen after a few Tom Collins’ :drink: :drink: :drink:

31. dixon says:

One of my favourites gertie. So jolly and harmonious. :rose: Great to see everyone’s taste. Hope we are not wearing Walt out. ;-)

I hope we aren’t either Dixon :-) … but isn’t lovely sharing these Christmas songs :walt: :dance: :rose: So many of these I know by heart having been in choirs and run choirs all through my life … love music :walt: :rose:

I hate all the commercialism, so my choice for today is Band Aid, Do they know it’s Christmas, to remind us what it is supposed to be about.

34. dixon says:

Choice for today, ENYA Spirit of Christmas Past. Haunting

35. Jenn says:

Thank you Walt for all the trouble you are going to – I am loving the musical festivities :walt: :walt: :walt: My choice today is ‘I’ll be Home for Christmas’ by Johnny Cash. This song holds memories of my mum (the Doris Day version, she loved Doris Day and always remarked on the apparent strength of her girdle when we watched any of her 1960s films :lol: ). I like this version though. I hadn’t really got into Johnny Cash until the OH started learning guitar and was strumming and singing a JC song. I like the slight air of drunk uncle singing at a family party this version reminds me of rather than the more orchestral Doris Day version…less saccharine and more world weary. When he sings ‘I’ll be home for Christmas, only in my dreams’, I imagine him singing it in a prison cell rather than away working :lol: :lol: :lol:

36. Hello Walt :-) I watched BBC 4’s programme on The Sixteen, Harry Christophers’ choir and was mesmerised by Allegri’s Miserere Mei Deus (2011). Many of you will also have watched it. I hope you enjoy it.

• Beanstew says:

I do like this Jane – it’s interesting the number of us who like and request religious music, although not necessarily religious. – and who are pretty much giving Hollywood’s Christmas efforts a bodyswerve.

• Thanks, Walt – I’m about to put the full CD on :good:
        And glad you enjoyed it, Sheila – and agree! I often think it’s perhaps the best thing that’s come out of faith. I learnt about The Sixteen and Allegri just before my step-f-i-l’s funeral some years ago and we were at m-i-l’s house when her vicar came round to discuss the hymns she wanted (she’s always been religious). I commented that it would be nice to have a chorister, thinking of the programme, and he arranged someone. In my view, it made the service.

Have just made my selection for today – but I see Karen has beaten me to it. I was going to ask for Josh Grobin and “O Holy Night” – but I’ll go and listen to Karen’s selection for yesterday, and see how it compares. I have some catching up to do – and I think I’d better do that first. I hope Walt realises just how therapeutic I (and probably others) are finding this.

38. dixon says:

Another Enya one please walt……. Silent Night in Irish ;-)

Silent night always reminds me of the birth of our son Samuel, as he was born on Christmas eve :love: , that evening the doctors and nurses came round dressed up and carrying candles and sang this one, well you can imagine all us new mum’s were a bit tearful, so I always refer to this one as our tune to Samuel :cute: , Sinead O’Connor sang a lovely version to of silent night :good:
    Enya does sing it beautifully too :-)

As it’s after 10 could I ask for Alison Krauss singing The Wexford Carol please Walt, for it’s simplicity & purity.

Simplicity and purity – I couldn’t pick better words. Thank you Walt :walt: and Karen.

Well if no-one else is going to put in a request, could we have For Unto Us A Child Is Born from Handel’s Messiah please Walt, any version that takes your fancy. :-)

43. dixon says:

Well we can’t have Walt twiddling his thumbs Karen. Lets have a funny one. Animals on iTunes singing jingle bells. Love Handel to.

Well I need uplifting after a full clinic of others’ toenails AND putting a double batch of sausage rolls in the oven for tomorrow since I got back – haven’t even had a cup of coffee yet. Can’t think of anything more uplifting at the moment than Andrea Bocelli singing Gloria in Excelsis Deo. So please Walt – have mercy and lift me up.

Estoy elevado – thank you Walt, you are really kind.

46. dixon says:

I’m sure Walt will oblige. :good: just had our OAPs do at our club, you ought to see them trough sausage rolls sheila. :lol:

47. dixon says:

Mind you………..Come to think of it , IM ONE OF THEM, :confused: :lol:

A request dear Walt for a very Unfestive but nevertheless beautiful Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams……just because I love it and it will remind us that winter will disappear eventually. :rose:

I’m getting first in the queue this morning to request the clip Karen and I mentioned last night- “The Silent Monks Singing the Hallelujah Chorus” – it’s hilarious, so I know you are all in for an absolute treat. I’ll be out nearly all day – and will catch up with you all later.

I’m so lucky – didn’t count on Walt being about so early – so I’ve managed to watch this full screenbefore a pretty crowded day. So I’m feeling quite “set-up” for the day. Thank you Walt.

51. Jenn says:

Going for pure sentimentality today – not a ‘Christmas ‘ song but strong Christmas associations – my request to Walt today is for ‘Edelweiss’ sung by Christopher Plummer from The Sound of Music. Perfect movie moment that makes me blub even now

It still catches the breath Walt :-) Good morning :high-five: :rose:

What about Pentatonix version of Carol of the Bells – for something a little different.

54. dixon says:

If you can fit in in Walt, another ENYA, Christmas Spirit. ;-)

Was amazed this morning to get further proof of how well my laptop knows me. Found this “Straight No Chaser – The Christmas Can -Can” among clips demonstrating “How to Make Shortbread” – the laptop evidently hasn’t given up on me yet in that respect, although I have. But I think the Christmas Can-Can might be worth watching. Good morning, Walt.

56. dandlyon says:

Walt any chance of the Moron Brothers We Gave Santa Lice

Loreena McKennitt’s Coventry Carol, at some stage please Walt, though maybe later as the funny ones are brilliant at the minute. ;-)

58. Jenn says:

No time to think deeply about my request today so I am going to have to go for the Christmassy ‘Troika’ by Prokofiev aka Midnight Sleigh Ride – and who wouldn’t want to go on one of those :-)

“Do you hear what I hear?” sung very smoothly and sweetly by Orla Fallon? maybe?
    Nightnight Walt :rose:

Gotta get today’s pick down before I gallop off. Would esteem it a great favour Walt, if we could have the US Navy band duelling Jingle Bells on guitar and banjo. Many thanks.

61. dixon says:

Brilliant Walt, never seen that one before. :lol: :lol:
    My choice for today Celina Dion, so this is Christmas.

That was beautiful Walt :-) thank you :walt: :rose:

Brilliant Job Walt, and wonderful suggestions everyone. My request for today is Gaudete please. there are many, very different, versions, so your choice Walt. :good: