Gertie’s Garden, Late April 2018.

Gertie’s Garden, Late April 2018.

By the time I got back into the garden, sunshine had woken up blossoms, old and new.

I could scarcely believe how quickly Ribe leaves had flourished … the blossoms were nearly over! This was April 17th.

I had pruned the fuchsia at the end of last year’s blooms, and it had been hard hit by the cold weather, but signs of life are encouraging and I have trimmed all the bushes again this week. There are promising buds on the Holly.

Pre-dawn on the 18th, was the first of a succession of beautiful skies heralding sun-filled days when some Tulips grew blousy and daffodils fell over each other to blossom … when they weren’t being trampled underfoot by squirrels, cats, pigeons and the rat that is!

Through the window i watch the birds navigating wiry stems and perching, often, upon the highest. Many enjoy the feeders which i have decided to continue filling, because, as my friend Bobs says, “Where else will they find Niger seeds?”

By the 19th, with flowers inside as well as out  :-)  The sun was still shining hot!

Birds were enjoying the overgrown hanging baskets, and feeders were well populated.

Unusually, three Goldfinches warily pecked around the base where Niger seeds flowed out, warily keeping eyes open! They seemed to glare at each other and woe betide any others that wished to join in the feast! They were chased away with a great flapping of wings , circling around in the air and trilling with little growls at each other!

One-leg Blue Titmouse quietly enjoyed the fat balls … and it was nice to see …

… Blackbird, our early morning wake-up caller and Starlings, perched in the Holly tree.

On the 20th, t little ratbag showed up again, sleeping , if you please, in the guard around the peanut feeder! I did try to catch it but it had learnt to fly  :-(  .

GG was filling up with feathery visitors, and the pair of Collared Doves was back.

They liked the unkempt baskets too … I may have to devise keeping some like this and putting new, tidy ones elsewhere ….. I like seeing the birds here.

I think that One-leg is very plucky.

The moon is waxing in clear early evening skies.

On the 21st of April, GG was, frankly, untidy but becoming very jolly-full of blooms!

We set out for a stroll around Crystal Palace Park, more of which another time.

I spent some of Sunday, sitting and admiring the light and shadows after pruning back the dead ends of twigs on the Fuchsias.

Robin hopped by to say hello but wouldn’t sit for a photo portrait.

Dom mended the broken hosepipe fittings and now I can water where the soil is fast drying up.

I like the Daffodils and Tulips and will add to them copiously for next year … that will give the squirrels something to dig up without denuding the flowerbeds!

Have continued filling up sacks of garden detritus to take to the tip.

Have put on hold the cutting down of the bushy growth until I can ascertain whether there is a bird nesting there or not. When it is clear I shall make a crops bed there as it gets full morning sunshine now that the Sycamore tree has gone.

The raised bed in the front room can be filled with herbs, shrubs and flowers.

For now I enjoy sunlight and shadows.

It’s pleasant to sit out in the garden looking and listening to birds.

Cheers!

Anne ….. 23.04.2018.

1. Gertie’s garden is looking very colourful, also some love!y blooms indoors too and the wildlife obviously enjoys the garden too, what a cheeky little rat, it must have eaten a fair amount then gone for a snooze!!! When I look at my primroses which are getting bigger each year, must look at dividing possible , anyway I always think of you. :rose:

I like that Lynn … love primroses :love: grew up with them in the woods at the back of our house in Stevenage. :rose:

Well what a lovely look around your garden, do love how the birds are using your hanging basket as somewhere to chill out ;-)
    And that rat is soooo cheeky too, they are so clever at working out how to get to the food, always a battle :confused:

Am finding the birds absolutely fascinating Karen … and have very mixed feelings about ratbag!! :lol: :rose:

What a delightful blog, Anne. You must be thrilled with your lovely garden. Those birds are really amusing and I couldn’t help a giggle at Ratty ;-) . My goldfinches ignored niger seeds and decided the much more expensive sunflower hearts were much tastier :-(

• gertie says:

Haha :lol: I noticed that the Pirates like Niger seeds too … yesterday they tried knocking the Goldfinches off their perches to get them!
      fight! fight! fight! well not quite, but it is amusing to watch the careful negotiations around those feeders! :lol:
      I am less dismayed about GG now that the sun has woken plants up Cilla. Am constantly amazed at the resilience of the plant world. :-) :rose:

6. Fabulous, Anne :-) Can’t believe this is a London garden really! Lovely :rose:

There are some lovely gardens around CP Jane … this is just my little patch of Wilderness amid the bricks, exhaust fumes and concrete … I like it :rose:

8. Allan says:

The favourit food of the goldfinches is teasel Anne, But it’s verry expensive to buy,I only used to use it for rearing young.Nice lot of pics, :good: :rose:

Oh right, thanks Allan … I didn’t know that … I like Teasels. I will make a point of growing some more and collecting some from the Wildlife Park in the Autumn for seeds for the Goldfinches :good:

That is just soooo lovely…flowers, trees, birds, ratty ;-) not forgetting fox’s and frogs :good: ..What more could you want…well done Anne its fab

Rats are actually very intelligent, Anne – and I wonder if they would get such a bad press if they hadn’t been natural competitors for our food stocks. It must have been/must be devastating for any community reliant on a stored grain harvest to find that rats had raided it, and also contaminated a whole lot more with their droppings. Lovely lovely photographs of the way a garden should look with sun and a bit of heat. – hope you realise you are keeping many of us going with photographs of how things should look now, but don’t.

• gertie says:

I hadn’ t realised that Sheila :lol: .. . thought my humble little wilderness would be tolerated just by me and the little girl downstairs who loves [ and has my permission] to pick the flowers sometimes and of course wander about in it when she wants to :-)
      I agree with you wholeheartedly about the Rat … they are very smart, and my only worry is hat if/when they multiply that they could be some sort of health hazard, especially with said little girl around :confused: :dunno:

12. Len says:

great pictures anne, really like them :good:

Oh Thanks Len :-) it was a beautifully sunny afternoon when I took them and there were wonderful light and shade effects around the flowers and leaves. The light changes so much in a garden doesn’t it :good: :rose: