Another Park, Another Walk.

Another Park, Another Walk.

On Friday afternoon I went for a quiet walk in Norwood Lake Park.

On the way I saw this glorious tree … Mahonia aquifolium … Oregon Grape Holly?

Once in the park, I said hallo to the little Medlar tree we planted there …..

… then tramped across the cut grass, past the blooming Cow parsley and onto beaten paths through and surrounding wooded areas. Willow trees are now dressed for Spring   … and the view across the fields is colourful.

Fancy living there, surrounded by those beautiful trees!

I soon emerged onto the path around the Lake.

There in the sombre rippling water I watched Coots, Moorhens and geese floating …

nesting … washing … in the quietly reflective surface

After a wash by the bank side, a Moorhen is off to the lake again; whilst I carry on walking around it, seeing more twiggy nests and contented geese.

Another busy Moorhen catches my eye in the borders of the Willow-reflective water, and yet again I am bothered by the ‘protective?’ plastic and wire … I wonder, ‘what’s it for?’

Past this scented shrub, I climb a pontoon and look out over the lake again, watching a pair of Mallard ducks swimming and dabbling my way, until another drake Mallard drives them back again!

Below me in the water, the triumphant mallard eyes me smugly, maybe hoping for titbits as is the custom from my lofty stance, but I have none.

Other ‘hopefuls’ spot me and rush towards the pontoon, so I beat a retreat!

On the way home from the lake Park, I passed Apple blossom, Lilac, Bluebells …..

The Chestnut buds from a week before were now leafy and flowering.

It was a walk to restore the soul.

Anne ….. 27.04.2018.

1. Some lovely photos, Anne :-) How wonderful to see moorhens, too! I loved all the photos of the lake, particularly the one with the tall dead grasses – beautiful :-)

2. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Thanks Jane :-) the bathing Moorhen was fascinating to watch, and I liked the way it churned the lake surface into rippling patterns! :rose:

3. Profile photo of dixon dixon says:

Great slow mo capture gertie of the water, cant believe the amount of foliage on the trees compared with here up north. :shout:

4. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Thanks Dixon :rose: So you still have only buds and few leaves as yet? :confused: :rose:

5. Profile photo of dixon dixon says:

Very sparse here gertie, my hawthorn hedge is just starting to thicken but you can still see the birds in it looking for insects. :-) :rose:

6. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Unlike my Ribe hedge which is so leafy now one can scarcely see the remaining pink blossoms! :shout: :rose:

7. Profile photo of cilla cilla says:

Another lovely walk in another lovely park. I love the wildlife and those trees are just beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. :rose:

8. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Thank you Cilla :rose: I love the way the parks change with the seasons [when we have recognisable seasons that is :lol: ] and where sky meets water with everything between is just magical. :rose:

9. Profile photo of mick1970 mick1970 says:

Lovely colours on the trees . We are weeks behind

10. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Dixon made a similar point Mick … they have suddenly burst into leaf over the past few weeks, and some of the blossom fleeting as it was, has already gone. A brief Spring, and now Summer is a-coming in ……. :lol: :rose: