WITLEY COURT AND MALVERN.

On thursday morning we set off in sunshine and took the M42 and M5 to go in search of Witley Court in Worcestershire. Tom Tom found it for us and we arrived in time to have a coffee in the tea rooms near the church. We had to walk through the wooded areas and around the lake to reach the cafe and very picturesque it was, too.

Guess who these photos are for?

We’ve walked quite a way uphill and are now at the house and here is the church with a rather lovely unusual clock on it.

Having had our drinks in the lovely tea rooms and made friends with the resident cat who visited each table in turn, we had a little walk round their garden before going along to see the church and peer at the ruins of the court over the walls.

The interior of the church was beautiful and, having looked our fill, we made our way to the ruined court.

I left OH to wander round the ruins and I went to sit overlooking the famous fountain which you have probably seen on one television programme or another. I shared a seat with a very nice couple and their little Jack Russell. It was nearly 12pm and the fountain was due to erupt in all its glory……..are you ready?

Sadly the photos don’t do it justice. We had a wander round the gardens and made our way to the car.

After lunch at a nearby farm shop cafe we drove to Malvern. As it was too early to check in the guest house we parked and walked up to the town and had a cuppa. We walked round the shops, looked at some clothes and had a browse round the antique shops. We found a nice looking hotel and booked for dinner as we thought it would be busy with the show being on.

The Bed and Breakfast was nice with friendly hosts so we had a rest before changing and walking back up the very steep hills to find our dinner! On the way back I took some photos to show you the various attractive and quirky buildings.

This was a huge tree and I don’t know what it is.

One of the shops we passed.

The council buildings…..it must be a pleasure to go to work in something so attractive.

Lots of Art Deco and pointy Gothic style buildings too.

And all these places have the backdrop of the hills. We are nearly back at the guest house. Here is the station and on the pavement leading up to the town are little plaques.

Here is a lovely girls school but I don’t suppose they appreciate the beauty of it!

And look what I spotted crossing the road in front of us and disappearing in to a garden.

That made my day! And so to bed, exhausted after a busy day and evening.

Your next trip will be to the flower show.

1. Profile photo of cilla cilla says:

I just realised I didn’t put a photo of the church interior on so will put it on clicks page for anyone interested.

2. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Have looked only quickly, but will come back again. What an absolutely lovely visit you had Cilla :good: :walt: :rose: and the photos are very good too :good: :rose:

3. Profile photo of gertie gertie says:

Have looked again …now I want to go there too :lol: So much green … and a fox :shout: thank you for the glimpse Cilla, lovely pictures :good: :rose:

4. Profile photo of cilla cilla says:

It is a lovely town Anne with such interesting architecture, lots of money ;-) and beautiful trees…….and, as a tourist area, lots of traffic. Delightful for a visit, though.

5. Profile photo of Beanstew Beanstew says:

Absolutely terrific is all I can say, Cilla. Every time I look at one of your blogs involving a stately home (even the well-kept ruin of a stately home), I wonder what on earth it was like to live in it. Much easier to heat a peasant’s hovel (and to furnish it). Malvern looks like somewhere I should go to – all that, AND a horticultural show.

6. Profile photo of cilla cilla says:

It is quite mind boggling to even imagine how these places were built without today’s modern aids and, as you say, heating them must have ben a nightmare. We are indeed lucky to be able to admire them without having to endure the hardships. The gardens are all maintained by volunteers and there were plenty of them beavering away.

7. How lovely, Cilla and a real bonus to see the fox :good: You know I don’t do churches but the other photo of the inside looks like it’s quite nice inside :-)

8. Profile photo of Tubs Tubs says:

Thank you, lovely to see these places still even though not physically able to. Have a water colour of the Malvern Hills I bought years ago from Ledbury Market House during an amature exhibition.

9. Profile photo of cilla cilla says:

We didn’t get to Ledbury this time but we used to visit there when we lived in Herefordshire and used to go to a little tea room up a side street.

10. Profile photo of Hayley Hayley says:

What a stunning place Witley Court is. :good: The photos of how it was and how it is now give a true perspective of the rooms. Easy to imagine the big parties and balls there, beautiful garden too. Malvern itself looks like a quaint place too, will look forward to seeing the show pics :-)