DNRC ……continued.

As there were tours every hour, General Tim moved us quickly on. I was chatting to a smartly dressed man at the back of the group who turned out to be the Executive Director of the Grosvenor Group who are constructing everything. I remarked that he must have had some sleepless nights and he agreed and says he is still having them, seven years on!

Here we are at the stables and they have kept the name.

As a day has passed I am having trouble remembering what all the buildings are going to be used for and I didn’t hear everything General Tim said but this area has been carefully constructed to get the patients used to all sorts of surfaces. In the past the patients have had their physio on a flat surface, gone outside on to gravel and fallen flat on their backs so, as well as being a quiet space to recover in, there are steps and different surfaces for them to get used to.

This statue was very interesting. In the nineteenth century shattered limbs were usually sawn off but this doctor started to find ways to save them and has never been recognised so they wanted a statue of him in this wonderful place. Apparently he was quite a scruffy dresser and his uniform was never up to army standards and they have captured this in the statue with pockets full of instruments, his belt not quite done up properly.

Off we trotted again to an area flanked on both sides with buildings and with a view over to the fields and woods. These buildings are for the very sick and traumatised so that they can, if they wish, just come out, look at the view and hopefully have their spirits mended as well as their bodies and minds. My photos don’t do the view justice but we walk those fields and look over to this place. I looked up and took the photo of the lovely building.

Another original building facade. Some of these are listed.

A lovely garden space with a greenhouse I was envious of.

I was talking to the Exec. again and he said all the windows, including the greenhouse, have bomb/shatterproof windows……can you imagine the cost of those? We were shown the gym which was huge but not equipped yet.

Nearing the end of the tour we were led through this walkway and into “The Shrine” as they call it. Here is a bust of the Duke of Westminster who searched for the premises of the Rehab Centre, who purchased it and whose dream it was and who sadly died before he could see it finished. He did visit a few months before his death, though, and was very pleased with it. His family are still very much involved. We weren’t allowed to take any inside photos so couldn’t show you the bust.

Our final stop was at the walled garden but weren’t allowed to go and look at it, for some reason. The diving boards have been retained from the original swimming pool when it was plain old Stamford Hall and the public were allowed to go and swim there.

The buildings to the right of the garden are all individual apartments.

This cottage used to belong to the father of a local nurseryman who was gardener at the hall years ago. And another quiet space for the patients.

It is going to be an awesome place when it is finished (2019 hopefully). They still need a lot of funding but I was so impressed with the thought that has gone in to everything there. They are going to start moving some patients from Headley Court in October and my thoughts were that if someone is suffering from injuries and trauma, they couldn’t come to a better place.

i don’t know why the photos are so small, I haven’t done anything different :confused:

Cilla. I pm-ed you … check the sizes at the bottom of the r-hand column. It seems to revert to medium, and you have to put in Large or full size instead..
    Thank you for the visit ….fascinating place i didn’t know about until you told us :good: :rose:

Prince Wills visited a few weeks ago :-)

4. Very interesting place, Cilla and I loved your description of the statue. It’s a pity that some parts are out of bounds – I imagine that puts people off returning really. Thanks for sharing this :-) :rose:

People can’t just visit Jane. Our parish council was invited and had 4 spare places so we were allowed to go. You had to produce photo ID……..just like on the tele :lol: It is a military establishment with the gatehouse. We weren’t allowed in certain places because the construction workers were there and we would all have had to have worn safety gear.

It’s really good to know that this facility is being developed for people with life-changing injuries – and I hope the clientele will be selected on the basis of need and not simply because of service in the forces. Active service must often be traumatic, and I’m pleased to see the psychological effects are being acknowledged too. Thanks for this Cilla – I hadn’t heard of this initiative before you mentioned it.

Thank you for posting this Cilla, it was lovely to share your private viewing to such a special place. It does look like a great deal of thought has gone into every detail – very impressive. :good:

How wonderful Cills…..The place seems to have everything for people with physical and mental needs…and set in such a private place too :good: …what a privilege for you to look round, and how lovely you showed us too :good:

9. Yewbarrow says:

I was interested to learn that this new facility is to replace Headley Court – this is not far from where I grew up and my brother-in-law served his national service there as a telephone operator in the RAF – he met my sister who was a GPO telephonist and invited to a dance at Headly court- all the GPO operators were and they married and lived happy ever after but this new facility that you visited Cilla looks the bees knees and should benefit everyone greatly

How interesting Jenny, a lovely romantic tale. My cousins in Devon were all GPO operators in Okehampton.

11. Hayley says:

What an uplifting blog Cilla. A beautiful place where people can reflect and recover from trauma and illness. :love: