the nights are drawing in

its beginning to look a lot like autumn the flowers are not looking there best and although the grass fields have come back from being  brown to a fresh green  looking field where cattle graze

the fields that once had tonnes of grain or rape seed to harvest now being cultivated with many tractors and machines  sowing next years harvest many long hours spent on the land from sun to sunset

and for the home gardener harvesting there veg crops clearing the ground in readiness for winter digging

stocking up the wood shed with logs for the winter months and sorting out our bird tables and bird food for those birds staying with us overwinter that adorn our gardens that give us joy watching them feed

and all those allotment bonfires burning all that rubbish we collected through  the summer months smoke lifting to the heavens with that truly garden smell that only comes with a real allotment bonfire

looking forward to all those garden seed catalogues coming through the letter box that you look at time after time before deciding to buy with your feet up against that log fire with a cup of tea and a slice of home made cake

That sounds pretty idyllic Roly, I wish we had a log fire but only central heating here. My veg bed won’t be cleared for awhile as lots of stuff is still producing but it is a satisfying job when the time comes., our farmers are busy in the fields too.

You paint a lovely picture Roly. :good:

Memories of former, countryside years :-) thanks Roly. :rose:

4. roly says:

when you have time on your hands because of things that happen in ones life I tend to reflect back on times gone by and in particular my farming days

I bought a DVD on farming in the fifties and another called when I was young both where really worth watching well I was a young lad growing up in those days farming and me went hand in hand especially where tractors where concerned I enjoyed all the seasons spring summer autumn and winter still do

but as we know things change over the years more productive farming as I call it bigger machines less labour intensive no sooner its harvested its cultivated and sowed the ground hardly stands dormant

to me the seasons seem to fly by quickly these days but years ago we seemed to take things at a slower pace farm teas where my favour fresh backed bread home made jam with a cup of nice tea sitting on a hay or straw bale in the field depending on if you where haymaking or harvesting there was always extra people helping out at nights in those days for a bit of extra cash local men who would come for a couple of hours after there day job

and then there was the potato harvest a gang of women kids and all from the village would go potato picking on the farm and bringing a bag of spuds home for tea well that was the norm in those days

so they just a couple of things I reflected on when one of my friends came to visit me the other day for a cup off tea and a chat but as I said sad as it may seem progress prevails we are into a new generation of farming all we can do is look at these old DVD’S and say that’s how it was :-)

5. Yewbarrow says:

good memories Roly, my sister used to go tatty picking in the October half term – she is 13 years older than me but told me about it, she got 9d a sack and the half term was 2 days only but she made a bit of spending money out of it

6. roly says:

couldn’t even buy a paper potato sack for 9d these days Y/B and with Health and safety rules today its most unlikely that kids would not be able to work on the farm today :-(

Your memories and reminiscences are fascinating to me Roly. I always loved listening to people telling me about ‘the old days’ …Now I am one of those who can of course. :lol: ….and think, here we are both tapping those memories out on computer keyboards. Things change so quickly and so much, over life-times. :rose:

So lovely to read such lovely memories which even though must have been hard work does sound idyllic :cute:
    Do love the smell of bonfires myself especially this time of year as seems homely , autumn can be such a lovely season with the changes with the trees and there’s a sweet earthy scent whilst walking through the woodland too.
    Some of my school friends used to go strawberry picking to earn extra pocket money, they used to be picked up in vans after school, I never fancied it but I did muck out stables at a local riding school and helped with the care of the ponys, my pay was to be able to ride these adorable ponys which I loved , my first experience with hens too as they had a large hen house where we used to collect the eggs for them to sell.
    Think it’s quite sad as these days these places wouldn’t be able to allow this due to not only health a safety but numerous other reasons too :-(

I loved your post, Roly, as your memories were also my memories – but I do worry that using the soil so intensively as modern agribusinesses do is short-sighted and harmful to the soil and the life that lives in it. I picked potatoes, stooked corn, fed hens and farrowed pigs – and I moaned about it. “It’s not fair, my friends don’t have to do all this” – but so much healthier than a childhood spent looking at the screen of a phone.

10. roly says:

when I had a spell in hospital I got quite friendly with a 91 year old farmer we pasted the days away talking about his farming years and how farming had changed over the years

he was born and brought up on a farm in the village of Saldwell Northamptonshire it sounded like farming in those days was hard work there was quite a bit of land around Scaldwell dug up for iron ore for the steel works at Corby

James told me the ploughs used to wear out quite quickly because the ground was very stony as a mixed farm with dairy cows pigs sheep chickens the days where long helping his Dad eventually taking over the farm when his Dad retired James had a daughter and a son who took over from James some years ago James’s some razes money for the Northamptonshire and Warwickshire air ambulance as well as farming

as I said I had many very interesting farming conversations with James when I was in that ward then I was moved to another ward when i asked how James was going on i was told James had sadly passed away but i will never forget those wonderful conversations we both had reflecting on his life on the farm

I’m so glad that James had such an appreciative audience as you, and the opportunity to reminisce freely about his life as he did with you. It must have given him a feeling of some satisfaction with the life he had led – sadly many others don’t get that opportunity. Farming was and is hard work – especially if you don’t have access to the huge machinery they use nowadays. But every time I see one of these big brutes lumbering along the road in front of me, I wonder if people really will be happier in a future of automation than working physically to provide food for their communities. I don’t think it suits humans to twiddle their thumbs.