BACK TO BASICS

Have arthritis in fingers now and find it painful to use my cultivator, especially if it fails to start after a couple of pulls Have bought a Terrex spade ,with a fork attachment. These were popular in the early 70s. Took a few minutes to get used to using it ,then it was brilliant.

I will now leave the soil exposed to the winter weather, and let the frost break down the lumps of soil.This was the way the veg plot was done years ago, and I feel sure in those days soil pests were not such a problem as they are since cover beds over winter with weed   suppressant

Aha, got it now, looked at your photos first. Great job Tony. :good:

That looks a good idea Tony. I always leave my veggie beds uncovered and, sometimes, if it is really frosty, I fork a bit over for the blackbirds to forage.

3. Yewbarrow says:

good move Tony, years ago I bought an Irish Spade on a visit to Ireland – round mouthed spade with v.long handle, it has been a doddle to use because you don’t have to lift very much to dig – know what they are doing those friends across the Irish Sea – happy digging

4. Allan says:

Thought you would have fitted a tiller to the back of your scooter Tony, I use my Zimmer frame for planting spuds, :lol:

5. roly says:

I seen one of my friends using a Terex down the allotments the other day it was doing a good job no back bending needed :-)

he told me one of the other plot holders gave him it he was very pleased with it I to was given a Terex
    from a friend of ours that sits in the tool shed I think its time I got it out give it a good clean and start using it I can’t bend the old back like I used to

I looked on line to see what a Terex would cost me should I need to buy one and there not cheep so I’m going to give my Terex a go down the allotment :good:

I’m deeply interested in this report about the special spade – would be really good Tony if you could do an explanatory wee video showing exactly how you use it. I say this because I’ve never seen one for sale anywhere locally, and would be forced to buy it online, sight unseen, and more importantly, quite untried.