Gertie’s Garden, January 2019, Part Two.

Gertie’s Garden, January 2019, Part Two.

January 17th
Mid-month was sunny, windy and pink! … I had a job catching the pink rose over Dom’s shed on camera.
I spotted the pretty Primula in Aldi, and couldn’t resist it, an addition for GG.

20.01.2019
There was a plethora of pink with the Hellebores, and even the Full Moon had taken on a rosy hue at its Eclipse!

Pink in GG was joined by yellow and some blue-ish hues too.
… Geraniums and Bergenias were both flowering! … plus Kerria.

Some flowers seemed rather unseasonal …..

22.01.2019
Birds continued to visit GG and we moved the large feeder from the shed corner onto Blue Hill. We also stocked up on masses of bird food!

Between the 24th and the 28th inclusive, we were in Montpellier visiting Sadie, who was critically ill in hospital, so GG was left to its own devices for the best part of a week. On our return, by the end of the month, cold weather was really setting in and since then we have had more wind, plus rain and snow. GG is fairly sheltered, with a small micro-climate of its own, and birds and flowers continue to flourish there. The squirrels re-found ‘their’ feeder and came back to gorge themselves in their usual acrobatic fashion!

The weather grew colder and colder. The wintry-bare Ribe stems were often filled with little Titmice of various kinds, and I discovered a white Clematis growing there of which I had been hitherto unaware. 

Unusually only one Redwing has visited this month, eagerly eating remaining Holly berries. It has visited daily for the last week of the month.

Goldfinches still arrive, sometimes in big groups of six or more … usually when I don’t have my camera at hand! There are starlings too, and of course Robin, … I think he has a mate.

A fat pigeon has been a regular visitor …..

… and wet little squirrels still fly around through the bushes and over the sheds! It’s delightfully busy out there.

I did shoo away an unwelcome intruder, quietly pretending not to be there under the hedge, watching and waiting! If she caught the elusive rat I would leave her, but I think she is more interested in the birds.

I need hardly add that all this time, whilst watching the garden it has been a great comfort to hear about Sadie’s gradual, albeit, painful progress back towards good health.

So, horrid January ends, and as new life pushes up through the soil around GG. I think often of a dear friend, departed, and I am thankful for another life saved.

Anne … End of January 2019.

A real “rinky dink pink” garden Anne :-) Those double primroses are very attractive. You have some lovely flowers out, especially the hellebores and that campanula doesn’t have a clue what season it is! All those gorgeous birds, the redwing photos are great.
    I am so pleased that Sadie is recovering well and I think we are all thinking of our dear friend too. :rose:

Thank you Cilla :love: Those Campanulas have been bouncing around all through the year throughout GG … crazy critters :lol:
    The only ones I am having difficulty with is the white ones gggrrr! :rose:

Good name for it Jane :lol: It’s windy out there this morning and I have to refill feeders….Starlings Goldfinches and Titmice so far are eating late breakfasts! :lol: :rose:

4. Tubs says:

So much in flower now lovely. I remember years ago when we went to ideal home exhibition in London the forsythia was all out in full flower and down here in Hampshire it was still in bud..

Yes that has always impressed me Tubs. ‘Growers’ make their own incredible micro-climates to get ahead of the game … always used to think it was a tiny bit like cheating, and not being prepared to take the luck of the ‘gods’, but have since come to the conclusion , that it’s very clever management. I think of Tony when I say this , and his careful management of his potatoes and onions for shows for example. I don’t have that kind of patience or need. Am just fascinated to see nature take its course, and how it adjusts and reacts to unplanned weather events around. :rose:

:good: :lol: Again, the variations of microclimates around this small island too :blowkiss: :rose:

That should say …’group of small islands’ :confused: :rose:

8. Another colourful blog Anne, your garden never ceases to amaze me, whether it’s tended or left it still produces so much colour and flora, love the bird pic’s, mine never sit still long enough!!! I thought we had thrushes in our Holly tree, but perhaps they are redwing? Must check.
    So glad Sadie is making steady progress, is she still in hospital?
    I find myself thinking of our lovely clicker every now and again, especially this week. :rose:

Yes , those thoughts sadden me too Lynn. :disappointed:
    GG is frankly, by any standards a bit of a mess, but it still has its shape and will gradually smarten up as I get out there more in Spring :-)
    We bought lots more bird food today as we both love watching the birds come in, looking through Dom’s Den window :-) :rose:
    Sadie is now home, at last, and I believe is happy to be there. Haven’t spoken to her again since yesterday but she was so happy then :good: :rose: