Bee Story

Bee Story

The bee was wandering about on the doorstep mat.

It was in a very quivery state, as you can see from the blurry pictures. It tried to climb the step, but couldn’t quite make it, so this was where I stepped in with a spoonful of honey.

I put a little drop of honey and a splash of warm water on the tip of a spoon and poked it under the bee’s ’nose’.

The Bee seemed to be having difficulty reaching the honey although it was trying valiantly to do so!

I gave it a stepping stone to make the sipping easier.

It sipped for a while then grew still and I was afraid it might fall asleep or drown in the, albeit shallow, water.

It was time to take it outside. In former times I have put bees onto the fir tree on the balcony, where they have revived, then flown away. The fir tree, however, is now down in the garden: so down to the garden we went, the supine bee and I, to find some soft petals and pollen to enjoy.

I placed Bee carefully onto a Marigold, but it slipped and clung, taking little notice of the rich centre of the flower.

I watched and wondered as the bee started to climb off the Marigold petals and onto and up the stem of an adjacent Iris.

“What could it find there?” I wondered.

“Is it the deep blue of the Iris that attracts it?”

I looked around and saw a different bee delving into the blue cave of a Campanula bell.

“Maybe that’s what Bee would like!” I thought, noticing that it had reached the Iris flower and was exploring the centre of it.

I placed Bee onto the soft, blue petals of the Campanula.

“Would it nose-dive into the bells like the other Bee?”

It was fumbling about, looking ready to drop into the folds of soft blue/green Campanula forever, when it suddenly

FLEW!

Joyful relief was followed by,   ”Where has it gone?!

It had flown to a nearby Iris and was dipping into the yellow interior.

It seemed to really enjoy the probing of the flower, and went on to another Iris …

… before flying down, at last, to the Campanula Bells and immersing its head into them!  I liked the way it clung to the flower, almost cuddling it, to get deep inside the bell.

After all that tense excitement I watched the other bee also enjoying the Campanula bells …

… but my adventure with Bee was the highlight of my day!  :-)

I looked on my Bees Chart, recalling what Jane had said about Tree Bees and I think Bee is a Tree Bee.

Anne … May 21st, 2020.in Gertie’s Garden,

Oh well done Anne, a most successful rescue mission. :-) Certainly looks like a tree Bumble. :cool:

2. What an adventure for you both, Anne :lol: :good: Excellent!
    When I first tried to help bees, it hadn’t struck me that they all prefer different flower shapes in my ignorance. I looked up Bombus hypnorum and found this at https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/tree-bumblebee-bombus-hypnorum/
    “I’ve been recording the flower types that hypnorum visits for more than 10 years now and my list already totals well over 100 types. Look out for flowers that hang downwards, such as raspberry and comfrey. You’re also very likely to see them working winter heathers, pussy willow, blackcurrant, gooseberry, apple, cotoneaster, chives, simple rose flowers and snowberry. They also like lime tree, fuchsia and blackberry flowers in later summer.”

• gertie says:

Wow Jane … thank you for that link … have just speed-read, and saved…fascinating stuff, and already it confirms some things i noticed and wondered about.eg the flower shapes and colours :good: :-) I couldn’t identify whether it was a lone Queen, or a foraging , exhausted Drone that ended up on the mat in the Glassroom, but I was silly pleased to have ‘brought it back to life’. Have done that before with bees and it’s most satisfying. :good:
      I presume that your collection data will go towards scientific research on these critters? oh and BTW I have roses and raspberry fruits emerging near to where I found it too. Thank you for opening up this ‘new World’ :good: :-) :rose:

Well done Anne. I do know that blue is the favourite colour for most bees and yours just confirmed it!

4. Tubs says:

New bee for me do not think I have seen one will have to be more observant, I have a pink flowered plant forgot the name for the moment but later in year it is full of bumblebees, Love the pictures and story thank you,

Hallo again Tubs, and thank you :good: … Lythrum, commonly known as Loosestrife?
    It looks like the sort of flower that a bee would love.. especially those with all those deep, bluish-purple as well as pink bells to pop into :-) :good: :rose:

6. Allan says:

I have very often found them on the path or garden Anne, i put it down to getting cold,But then i read up on the life cycle of a bumble,The workers that are summer born ,live about four to six weeks,They burn themselves out. A worker born in the autumn lives about four to six months,The queens can live for three to six years,And the poor old drone lives for about 55 days. :good: :rose:

Fascinating stuff Allan … this looked pretty lively after it had revived, and I wonder if it were a Queen…it was certainly quite large … thank you for that; I shall do more reading up myself :good:
    Good luck with that Hive :good: and second Hive did you say? :-) :rose: :rose:

8. Allan says:

Yes there are bees in the first one now. :rose:

Its brilliant … a whole new World within our World. There is so much to learn about them . Have often listened to Lynn on the subject and she is incredibly knowledgeable re Honey Bees … am somewhat in awe of you both … have fun :-) :good: :rose: