This blog is to show clickers why I decided I had to revamp the pond this week. I was very naive last October when I thought the articulated rush was spreading nicely across the water.
By July this year, I recognised it as couch grass and was horrified!
I’d taken a photo in April when I still thought it was the rush I’d planted when we first dug the pond. In fact, the couch had worked its way into the water under the moss covered log in the next photo. In July, the decision was made to get it all out.
There was also another looming problem. We had one apple tree with a rather dead understorey and another apple tree that was completely dead. The latter had lost a large limb several years ago but last winter had killed it.
So, in July, I separated the couch grass from the original piece of articulated rush.
However, I realised the next day that the remaining rush still had couch entwined through its roots and I had to bite the bullet, remove it completely and replace the plant. I like articulated rush as it doesn’t need to be in aquatic soil and just needs a bit of gravel in the water. Only one place stocked it and I bought two plants and also thought that the marginal Lesser spearwort might also look nice.
I washed what soil I could off the spearwort roots and lined a pond basket with hessian and gravel, hoping it would survive.
I knew the rush would be ok and although they don’t need to be in a basket, I decided it would be easier for me to manage should the couch get in again!
I supervised OH cutting the dead apple branches yesterday and then I placed them around the pond with as much artistic verve as my non-artistic brain could find.
The view to the field at the bottom of the garden is now a bit more open
And hopefully, the frogs will be happier and spawn next April!