Jane’s new veg garden project

The latest project is to do away with the four oldest raised beds (those directly opposite the two greenhouses) and replace them with 3, set out north-south rather than east-west. This will give me more room to walk around them all.

The beds were bought as kits and have done well but the photo below gives an example of how they are all deteriorating.

1. Example of rotting bed

I’ve almost completely emptied one. There’s just a bit of wood chip to get out of the bottom of it. I’ll be glad not to have them in this direction because, as you can see, it’s jammed against a small rain butt on the greenhouse and this is a nuisance.

2. Empty bed

The raised bed in the photo below isn’t rotting. I cover it with netting throughout the whole year because of the leaves and seeds that fall from next-door’s sycamore, just over the fence. I topped up the bed with compost/topsoil from the empty one once the beets had finished and put a good layer of my own compost on it for the worms to work on over the winter. I bought this fine netting when I had a go at growing cabbage and thought I would give the bed extra cover to stop anything from the tree dropping through the not-so-fine black netting already there. The builder’s bag is holding the remaining compost.

3. Builder’s bag of compost and raised bed covered under sycamore

I’ve also been reclaiming the lane and you can probably appreciate that all sorts of stuff grows on it. It’s a never ending job but I don’t like to use weedkiller and I tell myself that it helps to keep me fit!

4. Reclaimed lane at gate

Yesterday I dug up a shrub that has rarely flowered so that I could see my Viburnum Eve Price, which was being obscured by it. I then pruned the viburnum a bit and found this lovely old nest in it, complete with what I think is a wren’s egg.

5. Nest and egg

And now the garden is getting a bit more colour from the lovely cyclamen.

6. Cyclamen and honesty

Just 3 more beds to go!

Looks like a job and a half Jane, but well worth it :good: I love the mixture of wild and cultivated that you have, and that last photo of Cyclamen is really pretty :good: Our ‘late’ Sycamore tree that used to live next door was a pain with it’s drippings and sproutings, but I miss it and the Nuthatches and Treecreepers that used to live in it! :rose:

A lot of hard work Jane but worth it when you have your raised beds how you want them. The cyclamens are so pretty aren’t they? Ours were all there when we came and seem to have moved around a lot. I have found white and pink ones.

Wow, that looks like it will be a great Job Jane, though a lot of hard work. A bit more room round the raised beds will be much easier to work with. :good: Your cyclamen is gorgeous, lovely to have that splash of later colour. :-)

4. Morning Jane,you have been busy you need veg beds that you can work around. As you say keeping on top of Hyde growth weed’s etc in your lane will keep you fit. Our boundaries are always growing.

How are the raised beds going now Jane? Are they all in situ for this year’s growing now? :rose:

• Hi Anne :-) No and I’ve decided not to do it this year. Actually, this morning I dug up the last 2 parsnips in the final raised bed and will be able to start emptying and dismantling it soon. Covid and staying at home has given me pause for thought and although I expect to replace 2 out of the four in due course and likely next year, I’ve decided to see what I can do with the space left pot-wise this coming season. I’ll still grow parsnips and have got some seed potatoes and these 2 crops will go into 2 of the builders’ bags full of compost from the 3 already empty raised beds. I don’t want OH to have to rush to do them – it’s not easy to get hold of what he needs for them at the mo and as he’ll be replacing all the greenhouse panes, that’s enough for this year. It’s my decision, not his ;-)

Sounds a sound decision too Jane; I remember you saying about the builders’ bags before.. Wish I had one , AND the space in which to put it, but I will grow my spuds in TWO potato grow-bags instead. A good friend has already posted me some seed potatoes and am wondering when is the best time to chit them for some nice jackets later. :good: stay safe :love: :rose:

7. I’m chitting mine now in the frost-free cold porch. Karen @vegvamp will advise on chitting – she knows her spuds ;-)

• VegVamp says:

:lol: Just started mine off as well Jane.
      Around 6 weeks before you plan to plant them out is a good guide Anne. Paddy’s day is my spud planting time, pending weather of course. But I tend to plant them early and then fleece them when necessary. Getting them going early here helps avoid blight at the back end of summer. :good:

Ah thank you both very much for that comprehensive advice :-) :good: :clover: :rose: