Home Forums Gardening Questions anyone recognise this unusual tree?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Hayley 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

newshootNic
    Participant

Hello there!

Saw this very striking tree on a trip to the US recently. Can anyone tell me what it is?
    Thanks so much in advance. :bye:

Attachments:

cilla
    Participant

Hi Nic. It looks like a Sumach or Stag’s Horn. Rhus being the latin name.

cilla
    Participant

Rhus typhina and it is North American.

gertie
    Participant

Haha Cilla, you beat me to it. I think it’s Sumac. Children had a small one growing in their old garden…south of France.

newshootNic
    Participant

That’s so helpful, thank you cilla.

newshootNic
    Participant

and thanks gertie! :-)

gertie
    Participant

You’re welcome Nic :good: Look it up, the leaves are very pretty too :yes: :rose:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

lovely leaves and ?sort of purple type flower thing – sister went into raptures over it and planted one in her garden several years ago only to find it shot up ?suckers or shoots all over the garden so it went the way things like that have to go

Beanstew
    Participant

Must be the only rampant invader i have failed to plant in the front garden. Thanks for the warning Jenny, but it is handsome.

Hayley

Despite it’s rampant nature I’d still have one in the garden, you can’t beat it’s autumn colour Nic and the ‘stag horn’ structure of the branches in winter along with the red velveteen fruits. just keep on top of the suckers ;-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.