Home Forums Gardening Questions Blackberry runners

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

gertie
    Participant

Allan, please advise.
    I have long, strong runners on my Thornless Blackberry , which presumably would fruit next season. Thing is, they are prolific, strong, big and almost invasive!! Would NOW be a reasonable time to trim some off or tie some back? I remember you saying that you kept but a few each year from yours.
    I have had great crops this year from those over the arch, and yet still more to come…but it’s an odd year climate-wise and I certainly don’t want to lose the Blackberries by mis-treating them.
    Advise from you, and indeed anyone else who grows these goodies will be most appreciated THANKS….Anne :rose:

Attachments:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Allan

Anne, I let the two strongest branches grow, They are over an inch diameter at the base,Stop them if they get too long and they will bush out,Giving stronger side shoots ,Which you should also nip the tip off of when long enough for you,.Like you said ,They are next years producing shoots,They need a good feed now to have a good crop next year,I use miracle grow because it gets too the roots quicker,Go to the instructions on the box for the strength.As soon as they have finished fruiting,Cut the old growth back to ground level. :rose:

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Thankyou ronvalley, I have a blackberry in its second year and wondered what to do with it, as I wanted it to be more of a bush.👍

gertie
    Participant

Oh thank you Allan … brilliant :love: :-) :rose:

Allan

Don’t cut them off too short,Leave plenty of side-shoots on before cutting the tips off. :rose:

gertie
    Participant

Right :good: thanks :good: :-) :rose:

Allan

I’ve trained it as a tall Bush this year and not all around the old aviary roof.Because it shaded my blueberries,The freezer draw is full and a lot given away,Had 16lb off it this year,

Attachments:

gertie
    Participant

It’s a very productive plant :good: we’ve had loads too, and my friends had lots before we had even returned from Normandy, so I have no idea how many lbs it’s producing. Just know that it’s loved the sunshine and regular watering and feeding and is still producing fat ripe berries as I click :lol: :rose:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.