Home Forums Gardening Questions Box Blight?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Hayley 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hayley

I have some concerns about my mature box hedging around the garden and have been googling ‘Box Blight’ in the hope that this may something less serious :-( Has anyone any experience of diagnosing box blight? :rose:
    I have been looking at the RHS link:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=96

The box has been here for many years and I’d like to try and save it. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Attachments:

Hayley

Here’s another picture… :-(

Attachments:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Hi Hayley

Monty Don has had a lot on GW on box blight. Unfortunately, I think he had to remove his hedges eventually – I half remember watching the programmes:
    How to tackle box blight (part one)

How to tackle box blight (part two)

J :rose:

Hayley

Thank you for the link Jane, I remember those episodes too, I’m hoping that I can save some of it. In truth I’m gutted as I think these ancient hedges were put in when the garden was ‘born’. I’ve put some leaves in a bag with some wet kitchen paper to see what colour emerges. I hope it’s pink spores as that’s the lesser evil in the box blight world, Volutella blight.
    Here’s a close up.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Hope you don’t have to destroy it all, Hayley :fingers-crossed: Poor Sheila is desperate to solve the problem with her whitebeam too!

cilla
    Participant

Is that the singing postman’s border Hayley? It doesn’t look good but don’t give up on it yet.

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Hi Hayley, we have box hedging too, we moved some box in the spring to make way for the beehive, they ended up looking a bit like yours , and we put it down to the lack of water in may& June, with all the rain in July and a few heavy showers and a day of rain last Wednesday, they are looking greener and new growth is becoming visable. I hope it improves as the summer comes to a close.

Hayley

Believe me so do I Lynn. :rose: I’m afraid the hedge in the picture is really badly hit some of the other hedging seems OK. I’m a bit worried that in taking it out the spores will up and go too…to another part of the hedge! :excruciating: It’s a conundrum!

Funnily enough Cilla the postie path seems OK, perhaps he has the magic touch! ;-)

Fingers crossed Jane, it will be a mammouth task taking it out and disposing of it all.
    Don’t know what happened to my close up picture…let’s try again :fingers-crossed:

Hayley

hmmmm

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

I will have to keep an eye on ours too, just in case it’s not a water issue, like you I wouldn’t want to lose all the box. As Jane says Monty had problems with his box!!!

Hayley

I’ve just re-watched his advice Lynn and it does look like a good prune to strip the plant of the infected parts may be a good start. That in itself will be a big job! It’s important to clear every leak afterwards and disinfect tools too it seems. Hope it’s only a water issue for you Lynn. :rose:

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Hopefully you can save yours too ,Hayley. :high-five: :rose:

Ginnybean
    Participant

I always make sure when clipping box or any hedge to pick up/off any clippings off the hedge as can cause die back if left on the hedge… I hope your hedge recovers.. there seem to be a few green patches which look healthy…

Hayley

Thanks Ginny. Very sadly I had to take this particular hedge out yesterday as it had become more widespread in my absence. I’m hoping that I can save the other hedging which has patches of it, even that will need cutting down though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.