Home Forums Gardening Questions Bug and Fuchsia problem???

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gertie 4 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

gertie
    Participant

I found a green Shield Bug on the Fuchsia this morning. this is the plant I virtually denuded last year because of horridly mangled and bulging deformities. Still don’t know what caused it. Have found it reappearing this week and am cutting off everything horrid, as it’s after the main flowering session. Saw the Shield Bug and wondered if there is a connection? Can anyone help please? xx :rose:

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  gertie.
    Attachments:

gertie
    Participant

this is the bug …..

Attachments:

gertie
    Participant

I have been researching, and it appears that there is a green shield bugs native to Britain, which is the one I have, thank goodness, as it is harmless. The other, which has in recent years arrived in London and the SE is more problematical and can cause the sort of damage my shrub is experiencing, which is a conundrum :confused: …. am flummoxed :confused: :dunno: :rose:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Sounds like Fuchsia Gall Mite Anne, too small to be seen without a microscope apparently but the ugly galls are distinctive.
    Good description and photos here: http://www.oakleafgardening.com/problems/fuchsia-gall-mite-aculops-fuchsiae/

gertie
    Participant

Thank you Karen … I think you have it spot on …. now it’s for me to get rid of ALL of it :-( :rose:
    I will re-check that it can’t be carried by other plants, as I have, so far, two little cuttings of the white Campanula to send to you in Autumn, when they should be well-enough established root-wise :good: Am being as meticulous as I can be with general plant hygiene :-( :clover: :rose:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Such a shame you have to get rid of the plant Anne, but sounds like it might be safer. From what I can read it seems to only affect Fuchsia. You are very good bringing on the campanula for me, I’m sure they will be fine. :rose:

gertie
    Participant

It’s a pleasure Karen … and let’s hope that they survive this time…I will send them when I am sure that they are happily re-rooted and growing again
    Re the fuchsia, am trying to save a bit of it but as I don’t want to use chemical, toxic sprays it will be difficult and the shrub will be hugely depleted …. maybe go altogether. I want to save it because it has unusually pretty yellow foliage and super-sleek dripping, red blossoms …as you say, sigh! :clover: :rose:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

not sure if this will help, last year I was fairly sure my v.old fuschia had fuschia rust, the leaves turned yellow, very mottled and brown, looked it up on RHS site and decided that was what it was, I made up a garlic spray just on the chance it might do something, sprayed weekly for a couple of months and then it sat in our garage over winter as it usually does, did not expect it to survive but come April looked and there were shoots on it and I repotted it, fed it all through summer with tomato feed and it has done the best it has ever done

gertie
    Participant

It is the Fuchsia gall mite Jenny, but I wonder if the garlic spray will help too.
    How did you make it please?
    I don’t want to use chemicals and I am trying to save the unaffected parts of the shrub, having found an info page suggesting that I can. It’s actually in GG in the ground and too big to uproot and pot so I have to safeguard the local bees etc.

Yewbarrow
    Participant

sure I used 3 or 4 bulbs of garlic, which I crushed up and put with pint of water and tablespoon of washing up liquid, left it to soak for a few days, strained it off and then a tspn to a pint of water as a spray after – can’t remember the website I used but there are quite a few which give recipes – might be worth having a go Karen

gertie
    Participant

I will certainly make that up … thanks Jenny :good: :love: :rose:

gertie
    Participant

Gave the decimated Fuchsia shrub another spray of garlic last night, after cutting off a few more infected bits. :fingers-crossed: that it’s getting better :good: :rose:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.