Home Forums Gardening Questions Cauliflower – Has it gone to seed

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dixon 1 year ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

AliCat
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am hoping someone can give me some advice on the first picture I am attaching.
    Its my first attempt at cauliflower this year and I suspect that the first one has gone to seed.
    I have posted a second picture of another one I have grown that still looks quite tight and compact.

Thank you :good:

Attachments:

AliCat
    Participant

Here is the second picture

Attachments:

dandlyon
    Participant

Yes Ali its gone to seed, cut the other one or that will go the same. The cause is a check in growth, usually caused by not enough water. Also leaving the flower open it will change colour in the sun. Sorry for the bad news. Cauli leaves are normally very long and you have to look inside to see the flower

AliCat
    Participant

Thank’s Tony. Oh dear, but to be honest I didn’t expect success on a first attempt as I know they are not the easiest of crops. I will try again as its one of those that has a long sowing season. If at first you don’t succeed try try again ;-)

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Oh dear, what a pity Ali, great advice from Tony, as always, ;-) but I’ll just add they need LOADS of water. I made exactly the same mistake when I started, even here in Northern Ireland I couldn’t believe how much more watering they needed.

AliCat
    Participant

It has just been so dry here, watering day in and day out at the moment so I am not surprised that they bolted, will try again in a week or 2 as they are a variety that can be sown nearly all year round :good:

dixon
    Participant

As tony and karen say plenty water, just picked three today that were ready to go over. fold the leaves over to, to keep the hearts white.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.