Home Forums Gardening Questions Ceanothus Pruning

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I have a ceanothus Italian Skies which is about 6′ high by 7′ wide which got caught with the late frost earlier in the year which has left it with quite a lot of bare wood. I would like to prune this back hard but am not sure how far I can go with this without killing the shrub completely it has now finished flowering for this year so I think this is the right time.
    Could anyone advise as to how much pruning and how hard I can go.

Yewbarrow
    Participant

I was horrified when my neighbour (not knowing what to do really me thinks) cut her one back to just the main trunk or whatever its called and the same with the branches coming off it – she was sorting the garden out to put house on the market, so all I could see was the bare everything – this was early spring – it has now recovered enough to have leaves but don’t think it will flower this time – so would think they are hardier than I first thought – sorry that doesn’t tell you how to deal with yours, I imagine pruning should be after flowering

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thanks for that YB I didn`t want to cut it back that far but it looks as though it will recover if I cut back a bit severe to get rid of the frost damage and tidy it up a bit. I know the time is now as it has just finished flowering.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

A :lol: fter careful consideration, I decided to attack the overgrown ceanothus once started I realised just how bad it was, all the inner branches were basically dead with growth only on the ends so I have cut it right back. Time will tell as to whether I have done the right thing or not but it was no good as it was. When I bought this it was described as a slow-growing shrub ideal to plant on a southerly or southeasterly aspect up against a fence or wall, this is exactly how I sited it, but here we are 3 years later six ft high and 8 ft wide so I shall have to watch it from now on, ( that is assuming it survives the haircut). :lol:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.