Home Forums Gardening Questions CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gertie gertie 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

I have a sack of these from back in the days when we had little bar-b-Qs in the garden.
    has anyone any ideas please, on how they might be useful horticulturally? … a mulch somewhere if crushed up a bit Perchance?… or even added to compost??
    Useful ideas much appreciated :-)
    Anne :rose:

Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

My research shows all the same sort of things, Anne:
    Uses for charcoal briquettes

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

I think charcoal should be fine added to compost Anne, but if it is commercially produced make sure it has no chemical additives. :good:

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Sorry Jane, didn’t see your post, really must learn to refresh the page before I open my mouth. :lol:

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Oh Jane … I should have looked first :disappointed: … sorry to bother you, but thank you. :love: I didn’t know if there were something in them which would prevent the compost use, and wondered if anybody had used them themselves. I shall double-check, and if all is clear go ahead.
    I swept up this morning inside and along the pavement, and put the rotting leaves in the compost bin, along with collected-around-G’s G rainwater. Composter’s almost full now!! Have been adding spent coffee grains to the potted Azalea. It all looks very untidy out there, but I know what goodness is collecting and waiting for Spring. Already there are bulbs coming through.
    When it’s less windy and I feel better, I will go out with pruners and have a tidy :lol: :lol:
    Thank you , Anne :rose:

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Not at all Karen…and thank you too. Checking for additives is something I must do and if it’s clean, then YIPPEE!! :good: :lol:
    Anne :rose:

Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Don’t be daft, Anne – I like finding stuff on the internet :-) Don’t be daft, Karen!

Profile photo of cilla
    cilla
    Participant

I understand charcoal is good for wind, Anne, but possible not in briquette size ;-)

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

Googled it Anne, There is quite a lot that can be added to them,From soda,tar, molasses,paper.sawdust, I would just crush them and use them for mulching around the flowers.Not veg,

Profile photo of gertie
    gertie
    Participant

Will check on the additives Allan .. and use as you suggest …Thank you too cilla…what about wheezing and coughing? ;-) :rose:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.