Home Forums Gardening Questions Chitting potatoes

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by avatar Yewbarrow 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of flowerpotlynn
    flowerpotlynn
    Participant

I bought my seed potatoes area weeks ago and am thinking about chitting them, is it to cold at the moment?they will be in my shed and will I need to fleece then overnight when we have the cold temps that are forecast. :good: :-)

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Hi Lynn, I set mine out a few weeks ago, they are on the windowsill of a cool, north facing room (our dining room which doesn’t get used too often, so it’s frost free) ;-) I couldn’t put them in my shed here as I wouldn’t be sure of keeping it frost free. You certainly don’t want them to get any frost, but they do need lots of indirect light so that they produce strong, stocky shoots. Are you likely to get much more bad frost or have you a room in the house you could keep cool for a while?

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Thank you Karen, I could put them on the spare room window,which is north facing and slightly heated and just move them if we have guests :giggle: :good:

Profile photo of Walt
    Walt
    Participant

I set them up in late January, in a spare bedroom. They do need a little warmth and shade. I would not consider setting them up in a shed, no way. If you do not have the room, do not worry, chitting is not essential, it simply pre-ages them.

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Sounds like a plan Lynn, but as Walt says, you don’t have to chit them. :good: I just like giving mine a head start to give them a few weeks more before the inevitable blight arrives. ;-)

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Thankyou Walt & Karen :good:

Profile photo of dandlyon
    dandlyon
    Participant

Potatoes do not have to be chitted, but there are several reasons why some growers chit potatoes.as Karen has pointed out some varieties are slow to mature, so chitting can push them forward by up to two weeks. In blight areas this could be the difference between having a good crop or being struck by blight.
    Show growers chit so that chits can be reduced to just two, when growing in containers this gives less but larger potatoes.
    I chit my potatoes in a cool well lit room but not where any sun can shine on them, I mist spray now and then with a very week Maxicrop solution

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Thankyou Tony, I have had blight on my maincrop potatoes in 2016! So it makes sense to encourage them to grow and produce potatoes :good:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

bought mine towards middle of January, have large egg trays (begged from our milkman) and they take the seed spuds perfect for chitting in the conservatory = not as hot as indoors and a bit more protection from any frost – they are chitting nice and slow

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.