Home Forums Gardening Questions composting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Len
    Participant

i have been bagging up all the fallen apples, pears and plums from under the fruit trees. what is the best way of disposing of them. putting them in the compost bin might not be a good idea as some of the rotten ones might not be good for the soil in the future. not sure if i can take them to the tip mixed in with weeds etc. any advise will be well received.

gertie
    Participant

I take any infected weeds or leaves [eg the rose leaves with black spot] to the tip with the heavier branches that won’t compost quickly Len. Of course, I don’t have fallen fruits but if I did, I think I would take them to the tip as well. Even when I peel spuds etc when cooking, I put only healthy peelings in my composter. the rest goes into the rubbish bags. Good luck :good: :rose:

gertie
    Participant

PS I was told that council rubbish tips are such [bigger size I am guessing] that they rot down at much higher temperatures than our domestic ones, thus killing off more bugs in the process. I don’t know if this is scientifically true, but it sounded feasible when I was told it. :-) :rose:

cilla
    Participant

I would leave some under your trees Len for the birds and insects, invaluable food for them.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Hello Len :-) Leave what you can, as Cilla says. The animals will soon have them. I have masses that just fall and very soon, you wouldn’t know it.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

I was thinking exactly the same as Cilla and Jane, the birds always snaffle any fallen apples I have, and all the cherries on the tree before I can get them! :lol:

Owdboggy
    Participant

We always put the fallen fruit on the compost heap. Never had any trouble with them when using the compost later on.
    Just sprinkle a bit of lime over them as you put them in the pile.
    The only trouble with leaving too many under the trees was that as they rotted there, they turned to brown sludge which was much harder to deal with.
    Obviously you need to cover over the composting fruit or you do get a huge number of wasps later on in the year.
    Our local recycling place frowns on any kind of food in the garden waste area.

Len
    Participant

i am more confused than ever. my worry about leaving them under the trees was that they could infect the soil. as i said putting them in the compost bin could cause problems later and i am not sure the tip is not happy to have rotten fruit deposited there.

cilla
    Participant

I can’t imagine they will infect the soil, look at the woods and hedgerows with all the fallen crab apples. Why don’t you leave some for the birds and insects and put some in the landfill bin and then the creatures that flock to landfill will benefit too.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

As Cilla says, I can’t see how they would be a problem to the soil Len, after all that is how all fruit trees reproduce. And like Eric, I wouldn’t have any worries about putting them in my own compost either.

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Hi Len

From Gardeners’ World: Can I compost fallen apples? 20 sec clip – I don’t bother chopping windfalls if I decide to compost them.

An article on apple scab in compost: Diseased Apples (Scab) in Compost Bin from the US, and mainly concerning orchards but it might be useful for you.

Len
    Participant

thanks everyone. Jane read those articles. much appreciated. :good:

gertie
    Participant

Thanks Jane :-) … that second link [above] is just what I wanted to read :good: :rose:

NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Glad you found them useful, Anne and Len :-) There’s very little that doesn’t go into my compost bins. Even OH’s hair trimmings go in – he insists it’s organic :lol:

gertie
    Participant

:lol: Snap … so do Dom’s Jane :good: :-) :rose:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.