Home Forums Gardening Questions Downhearted Courgette

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hayley Hayley 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

Is anyone experiencing this problem with their courgettes this year? I have been removing the flowers from the ends but despite that the ends are still rotting.
    Any advice much appreciated! :good:

Attachments:
    1. Courgette-1.jpg

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Oh errr lovely H, that’s not so clever. :-( As long as the plants are healthy and growing well the only other thing it might be is a pollination and/or a watering issue.

Profile photo of Beanstew
    Beanstew
    Participant

I wonder if this could be due to lack of efficient pollination? I know it’s high summer and there should be hundreds of pollinating insects flying around – but perhaps the plants are not receiving the degree of attention they need? I’d try hand-pollinating the plants to see if this sorts the situation. Alternatively, are the plants receiving sufficient nourishment to carry a large crop of fruit? If not, possible they are programmed to abort some fruit in the interests of maturing a few to produce seed? Fingers crossed Hayley, that things will get better.

Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

Yikes, Hayley, water/pollination came to my mind, too!

Profile photo of dandlyon
    dandlyon
    Participant

Its down to our erratic weather Hayley, during our long dry spell no problems, since the rain came and cooler weather have had several people ask whats causing my courgettes and marrows to rot . Hand pollinating may be a solution

Profile photo of karenp
    karenp
    Participant

Some of my courgettes also went that way too, but plants looking ok still so hoping for some better ones soon :-)

Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

Thank you everyone :good: I’ve been having a go at hand pollinating so fingers crossed. I think the weather has a lot to do with it too Tony, one minute tinder dry, the next a deluge! Having said that, we still need more rain down here, it’s a conundrum :confused:
    Here’s an updated picture, some are fine, others are still rotting :eyeroll:

Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

Hopefully updated picture here :good:

Attachments:
    1. Cour-1.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.