Home Forums General Discussion Experts

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hayley Hayley 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant
    Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

What a brilliant attitude Jane, just shows what can be done, irrespective of what problems are in the way, if there is a will to do it. I especially liked the “sometimes they were so eager to get going that there was no plan and it got built anyway”.

Profile photo of NorthernTeacher
    NorthernTeacher
    Participant

I was pretty impressed with all sides, Karen :good: This sort of positive help and consequential results reminds me of a conversation with an NGO worker when I was in China. She was involved with very poor villages on the border of the Tibetan region. A donor wanted to give money – fair enough, but he liked to play the piano and wanted the charity to supply pianos and not what was really needed, as in toilets!!! Practicalities are what are important!

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Yes, I was impressed with all of it too, and with the lateral thinking. :good: Putting conditions on a donation isn’t giving. :bad: Sadly there will always always be stupidity and selfishness.

Profile photo of Allan
    Allan

I know it doesn’t sound right,but I was on a military truck in Africa,Delivering maize for flood relief for Oxfam, In the early sixty’s,We had been driving all day through swollen rivers and muddy murram roads,When we got there ,They all stood around with their dishes waiting for us to dish it out,The heads of the village stood back watching as we unloaded two tonn of maize,then we drove off.We were disgusted.

Profile photo of Beanstew
    Beanstew
    Participant

I really loved this piece. It typifies all that is best in human beings, especially when we are really up against it and things seem practically hopeless. That’s when our ingenuity gets in gear, and the bright ideas flow. It’s how we should be – not sitting about like couch potatoes fiddling with the latest consumer gadget in a haze of boredom.

Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

A fascinating insight into this world of refugee camps Jane. Couldn’t agree with you all more. It’s heartening to read about people being inventive and creative in spite of the sometimes overwhelming news we hear about destruction and violence in these situations.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.