Home Forums Gardening Questions Greenhouse Insulation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Does anyone have any thoughts on greenhouse insulation? I have always fixed the large bubble wrap on extended fixings to leave a gap from the glass, which has always done a good job.However last year which was a very dull winter with low levels of light I had not much success in setting off seeds in my heated propagator in particular with begonias and petunia which in the past have performed ok. I was wondering if the reason for last years failures could be the insulation which is stopping some of the light. I thought maybe this time it might be better to insulate just the top and leave the sides clear. I would be interested to hear what anyone else does.

mick1970
    Participant

I use enviro mesh then if gets to cold i throw bubble wrap and fleece

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thanks Mick, do just cover up with bubble wrap and fleece or do you fix it to the framework?also do you have any heat on?.

Beanstew
    Participant

Good morning Frank. I use accursed alliplugs to fix bubblewrap or 30gm fleece to the greenhouse frame every year to exclude frost – but I never germinate early seeds in the greenhouse. Those are germinated in a heated propagator in front of the spare bedroom window, then moved to a small growhouse fitted with growlights, before potting on and moving into the greenhouse end March/early April. Using the alliplugs ensures an insulating gap between the glass and bubblewrap – but they are a pig to use if you have arthritis in your hands, and they constantly break and become unusable if you twist them too hard. I think the bubblewrap is more effective, but this is simply a feeling – I have no real proof.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Sheila,I have a home made propagator with a heating cable under sand which is in the greenhouse which I use to start off seeds and cuttings etc. Following on from germination I have to move the seedlings onto the greenhouse bench so I have to put some heat in the greenhouse which is why I insulate. I also use the alliplugs which as you say are a bit of a faff but once fixed they do a good job of keeping the bubble wrap off the glass.Last year for some reason my petunia seeds failed to germinate and also begonias, even some pansies all of which I have grown before with some level of success ( not brilliant but some).Like you I love trying to propagate stuff and never give up trying.This led me to wonder if with the insulation in place and the polycarbonate lid and sides of my propagator if with the very dull weather last year the light levels were to low for propagation,which is why I posed the question. I was thinking maybe just insulating the roof and leaving the walls clear, this would loose some heat but improve the light levels.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.