Home Forums Gardening Questions Growing Cucumbers

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hayley Hayley 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AliCat
    AliCat
    Participant

Hi all, its my first year at trying to growing cucumbers so would like to ask for any advice anyone might have on growing them.
    I am growing a mini cucumber variety called Alpha Beth.
    Do they need to be pinched out or trained in any specific way, and what sort of feed do you normally give?
    Any hints or tips would be much appreciated :good:

Profile photo of dixon
    dixon
    Participant

Hi Ali, bill gave me a bit of advice, I used to overwater, just keep the soil damp but water away from the stem. Lashings of water once the fruit starts to form. :good:

Profile photo of dixon
    dixon
    Participant

Hi Ali, bill gave me some advice, I found I was overwatering, just keep the compost damp and water away from the stem, lashings of water once the fruit starts to form. :good:

Profile photo of Jenn
    Jenn
    Participant

Hi Ali. Advice is to pinch out the tip when it gets to the top of the support or when it starts to form fruit so all its energy goes into that although I just let mine scramble usually. I also plant so the base of the stem is on a little mound so the water runs away from the base of the stem. Like Dix says, it’s quite easy to kill them when they are little plantlets by overwatering – when they start fruiting they need more🙂

Profile photo of Jenn
    Jenn
    Participant

Opps…I meant to say I just use seaweed feed or tomato food – whatever I have handy.

Profile photo of AliCat
    AliCat
    Participant

Thank you Dix & Jenn, you have both averted my first disasters of planting the seedlings deeper and watering more than needed :good:

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Great advice from Dix and Jenn, Ali, I was guilty of doing the same as Dix when I started growing them, too damp when they were small; I managed to kill off a brave few that way. I’d go even further than Dix and say keep them very slightly on the dry side until they are a decent size. Planting on a mound is a good tip or sink an upturned bottle into the pot or greenhouse border for watering when they are big enough. Beth Alpha are a lovely wee cucumber, but keep picking them young or they will get big. ;-)

Profile photo of AliCat
    AliCat
    Participant

Thanks for the information V.V. I will do my best to pick when young as I am only growing them for the OH, If I eat them they make me hiccup

Profile photo of VegVamp
    VegVamp
    Keymaster

Have you tried taking the skin off before eating Ali?

Profile photo of Len
    Len
    Participant

i found last year was good for mine. i kept them in a greenhouse on their own. previously i had them with toms. by having them on their own and keeping the greenhouse hot and moist they did a lot better. might just have been coincidence, but i will do the same again this year.

Profile photo of Ambersparkle
    Ambersparkle
    Participant

bury a small Plant Pot at One Side of your big Pot, always water through the small Pot. Keeps Water away from Stem, which will rot. :good:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

hope you have fun growing them, I grew them last year for the first time and yes you have to pinch out the growing tips when they are the right length else they end up like triffids and I could not keep up with the amount that one plant produced, giving them away like mad, I also put a couple of plants on the allotment just to see and they went mad too so am having another go this year, and yes peel the cucumber and it does reduce the indigestion quite a lot

Profile photo of AliCat
    AliCat
    Participant

Thank you for the information, I will try peeling them as advised, if there are lots of tremors you know I still have the hiccups :lol:

Profile photo of Hayley
    Hayley

If you like small cucs Ali, ‘Diva’ is a good variety too. ‘Marketmore’ has done well here in the SE but does have a thicker skin. When peeled however, it’s super sweet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.