Home Forums Gardening Questions Growing from seed

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Following last years failure with my Petunia and non stop Begonia seeds not germinating for some reason, even though the previous year they germinated fine,i am going to have another attempt this year. So is it best to use just plain seed compost as I did last year or is it better to incorporate some vermiculite to retain moisture.
    Also I was wondering about trying Impatiens or is there still problems with the mildew that was affecting them a few years ago.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am doing all this in a home made heated propagator in the greenhouse.

Attachments:

Allan

Frank, I grow them in half trays, I damp the compost, Then fill the tray too half an inch under the top and level it off, I sprinkle the seeds on the surface and put a glass or Perspex cover over them,The water will condensate on the underside of the glass,But don’t remove it until you see the seed has germanated,when they show two leaves I spray them with a fungicide to stop them damping off.I tried putting a photo on here but it got rejected.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thanks Allan

I understand what you mean,do you just use standard seed compost? My propagator has a heat cable under the sand and there is a polycarbonate cover to go on the top so I can keep the heat pretty even. I will get some pieces of glass or perspex and cover the seed trays as you suggest.Do you grow Busy Lizzies? some of the articles I read suggest that they have overcome the mildew problem but others say grow New Guinea varieties, I thought about just get some seeds and try a few.

Allan

Standard compost Frank, Personally i don’t like the big busy lizzies,I managed to get proper seed right through the time when they were not importing them, All the small dust like seeds i grow that way,

Yewbarrow
    Participant

standard compost for me, our local nursery has done a deal with nursery trade and we can buy the same stuff they use – it is great, I use a propagator for starting most of my seeds, although some just go in the cold greenhouse, prick on as soon as seedlings are big enough and keep doing it until plants are big enough for final transplant

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Allan,I too prefer the original busy lizzies,I think I will just get a packet of seeds and give them a try again.With regards to the compost I have always just used standard seed compost and its been fine, I just read somewhere on line about adding vermiculite that is why I asked the question I wondered if I was missing something but thanks to you and Jenny I was doing it right anyway.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Jenny I will stick to standard compost, I too start most things in the heated propagator I find I get better results, I did try to propagate seeds in the past in a cold greenhouse but had a lot of failures that`s why I made mine. We have a local nursery that sells the same stuff as they use which is very good, I believe they have it made for them by Humax but they only sell multipurpose which is a bit course for fine seeds so I usually get Levingtons.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.