Home Forums Gardening Questions Growing from Seed

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Evening all, as I mentioned a couple of months ago I attempted to grow my own non-stop begonias from seed, this I did ( attempted I mean) unfortunately non germinated so back to Reighton Nursery ( Dixon will know this) Last year I grew my own Petunias from seed and they were fine I filled 2 hanging baskets with them and also plenty left for pots etc. but this year non germinated at all which I don’t understand as I did exactly the same as last year. Also, nicotiana which I have grown the past few years from seed no germination again. All these are in my heated propagator at a steady temperature just the same as last year. The only thing I can think of is that this year the days were very dull and gloomy and I don`t have a greenhouse light so could this lack of good daylight be one reason? However, more luck with other seeds I sowed a packet of 20 geraniums and 20 grew, also tomatoes and cucumbers doing well as well as sunflowers and French marigolds so not all failures. I wasn’t really expecting any luck with the begonias but the petunias and nicotianas I was sure would be ok so I am a bit puzzled. Any suggestions, please.

Allan

Hi Frank,I always grow them from seed,The begonias,lobelia,Messymums And petunias Are all grown on the serface of the soil,Covered with a sheet of glass,I do all the fine dusty seeds that way,My dahlias also are all grown from seed as well,They are so easy ,I don’t even bother bringing the tubers in,

Attachments:

Allan

Hi Frank,I always grow them from seed,The begonias,lobelia,Messymums And petunias Are all grown on the serface of the soil,Covered with a sheet of glass,I do all the fine dusty seeds that way,My dahlias also are all grown from seed as well,They are so easy ,I don’t even bother bringing the tubers in,

Attachments:

Beanstew
    Participant

I have an old Jelitto catalogue (seedsmen supplying professional nurseries) which has a section detailing the exact germination requirements for every seed it supplies – and I find this very useful indeed. Failing that, I google “germination requirements” and follow the instructions. But sopmetimes seeds fail. I had a total failure with papaver “Lauren’s Grape” this year, with seed I bought last year – and I just have to conclude that perhaps the seed are only viable for one year, or they were old seed. Such a shame though – I can grieve for seeds that don’t germinate.

Allan

The hardest one I have a problem with Sheila is the petunia, So I put them in a tray and cover just half of them with a thin layer of compost, Sometimes the ones covered come the best and other times the uncovered come do, But I always cover the fine top planted seed with glass, The bottom photo shows result, After I have used all the plants that I require,I’ll end up giving all them away.

Beanstew
    Participant

I think of your sheet of glass as being “la creme de la creme”, Allan. I enclose seed trays (after draining well) in plastic bags to maintain humidity in a heated propagator – otherwise the seed surface might dry out at a critical point. The minute I see signs of life, I ventilate fully. I’ve never tried petunias – might do some next year just for the challenge.

Allan

As soon as they have germinated and the glass is removed Sheila,I spray them with a fungicide to stop them damping off.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Hi Allen thanks for info I am quite a novice with these sort of seeds and just followed the instructions on the packet.I have a home made propagator with a heat cable set in sand and thermostat. With the begonia where I might have gone wrong was because they are so fine I mixed them with a bit of fine sand to help with even sowing in a seed tray and a standard plastic dome lid then placed in propagator set at 30deg.results zilch. the thing I don`t understand is with the petunias, I did exactly the same as last year which as instructed on the packet recommends a light covering of vermiculite and place in the propagator results as above.These are some of last years I grew

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

This is some of the petunias I grew last year.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

For some reason Allen the file has failed to upload ( just like my seeds) will try later when I have more time.

Allan

Frank, When a photo doesn’t upload, Click on edit and try again.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Allan I will try again to upload some photos here’s hoping. I wouldn`t mind but I have done it before.

Attachments:

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

These were some of the Petunias I grew from seed last year and hopefully, this next photo is my propagator. I still couldn`t attach 2 photos at the same time.
    Can I ask Allan, are your seed trays heated from the bottom, and what temperature do you germinate at? because the seed packet info isn`t very reliable as I have discovered.

Attachments:

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

The edit method has worked fine Allan thank you for that, the 2nd pic is my cold frame and the 3rd is my propagator just with some geranium cuttings stood in, but you can see the idea I use with a polycarbonate lid on for propagating.

gertie
    Participant

That’s looking good Frank :good: :rose:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.