Home Forums Gardening Questions Late runner beans

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  cilla 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

gertie
    Participant

Hi crop growers
    I stuck two runner bean beans into the soil very late and not hoping for much in this crazy-weather-year anyway. They are both flowering beautifully but the flowers are dropping off on the second one leaving just little stems and I saw but one bee pollinating this morning …. there were loads about earlier in the year but not recently :confused:
    Is it too late for them to make beans anyway now? I have never had this problem in 70 odd years, but then I didn’t have a H.Attack either till last April :-( which kinda slowed things down a bit :excruciating: whatdoyouthink please?? Anne :rose:
    It’s a terrible photo, sorry, but it shows the second bean planted, in the sun, flowered before the other which was planted in sun/shade and which has caught up and is now showing a tiny bean or two :good:

Attachments:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Mine often drop flowers when they first start Anne, I wouldn’t worry give them a weekly feed and plenty of water and they should be fine. I’m usually still picking well into September here, and often until the first sharp frost, so I think you should be fine for a late crop in London.

gertie
    Participant

Oh that’s good to hear … thank you Karen, :love: we so love our runner beans :clover: :rose:

flowerpotlynn
    Participant

Mine are doing the same Anne, lots of flowers but very tiny runner beans. Thanks Karen I shall do the same, they are well watered after all the rain, these last few days, so shall give them a good feed this evening. :good:

Walt
    Participant

I agree with Karen, they do tend to drop the early flowers. Give them a high Potash feed once a week, i.e. Chempak Number 8.

Allan

I use sulphate of potash Walt, I never stop mine,Then they go up to the top of the canes and fold back down,The first cropping has just finished and the second has just started producing,For the first time this year we have had loads of bees pollinating,Bumbles and honey bees,It looks as if I’m going to be picking them well into September, The June fall was heavier this year,Through the occasional bee that did turn up , being drawn to the more prolific pollen/nectar plants.I pulled all my dahlias out and as my chrysanthemums are getting picked ,They are coming out as well.I tried with the flowers ,but I miss my veg. ;-)

cilla
    Participant

While we are on the subject of beans, our village show is in 5 weeks……when can I start nurturing a bean to compete for the longest?

gertie
    Participant

You’ll surely nurture several Cilla, and see which come along right at the time required … good luck :lol: :rose:

Allan

When I was growing hem for the longest bean Cill, I kept six plants that were for show only,When a bunch of about six get pollinated,I used to remove the smallest four off there and just let two grow on.I found that if you remove them all bar one,It would stop growing sooner,In the longest bean comp they don’t have to be edible,some that are entered are quite dry, You should have picked the ones for growing on a couple of weeks back,But do it now if you haven’t started.

cilla
    Participant

Thanks Al, I’d better get a move on then :-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.