Home Forums Gardening Questions Lupin Problem

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Frank AKA seasider 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Could anyone please advise on what may be causing the flowers on this lupin to drop its petals, the plant looks healthy to me and I can see no sign of pests. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Attachments:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Hi Frank, goodness that is strange, it certainly looks healthy otherwise. Were the flowers lying round it?

Walt
    Participant

This is somewhat convoluted but may be worth a look…
    http://lupins-bk.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/diseases-and-pests.html

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Grief Walt, that is pretty heavy reading. :confused: It looks more like some form of fasciation of the flower stem to me, rather than a pest or disease as the rest of the plant looks very healthy. Or maybe some kind of damage to the flower stem as it was forming? Never seen anything like it.

Walt
    Participant

Thrips perhaps?

Hayley

How strange is this? The stem looks very healthy so leads me to think it may be a petal thief of some kind. Curious :dunno:

dandlyon
    Participant

This might be worth thinking about Frank, in the hedges round our allotment there has been an abundance of hedge sparrows, and they seem keen to try anything. Several plot holders have lost beetroot, not just the red spurts that sparrows normally eat but the young green leaves . Another favourite is the seed leaves on runner beams, and peas. Have seen them on my lupins and assumed they were looking for aphids, will have a closer look tomorrow

Beanstew
    Participant

I googled “insect eating lupin”, and looked at the images to see if I could find something approximating your example, Frank. There were instances of the above happening involving several different insects, but none produced the same striking effect. I grow euphorbia wulfenii, and from time to time it produces distorted flowering stems due to fasciation, mentioned by Karen – and it is reminiscent of your photograph – but I couldn’t be sure unless I stripped some flowers from an unaffected stem and compared their appearance.

cilla
    Participant

It looks like fasciation to me.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

First of all thank you all very much for your interest and comments on my lupin problem. To start there appears to be 2 stems affected at the moment, the one in the photo is much more bent this morning, and no VV no sign of the petals laying around, Walt I checked your link thank you I must admit it was a bit to technical for me though.Tony I have been watching the birds but none of them seems interested in the lupins. That leaves the general conclusion that it is faciation, I had never heard of this but I found a good explanation on google and apparently if this is what it turns out to be it will not harm the plant in the long term, and does not transfer to other plants, so I am going to cut out the affected stems and hope for the best.I will add another couple of photos to my page showing the plant in more detail and also the other affected stem.
    Thank you all once again Frank

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Yes please, it would be interesting to see more photos Frank. :good: This is a real baffling one, but as you say if it is some form of fasciation then it won’t do any harm to the plant.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Heres another picture as promised Karen, I am still not managing to add files to my gallery for some reason, most likely operator error :lol:

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.