Home Forums Gardening Questions peach tree

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Len 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Len
    Participant

i have had a peach tree for 3 years. one year old when i got it. it is in the greenhouse. 1st year fine, got about 6 fruit off it. last year about 18 fruits. this year all was going fine untill i put some manure around it. hadn’t done that before. plenty of peaches on it, then the leaves started to die and fall off like it does in the autumn. the peaces got to a certain size and have not got any bigger with a lot falling off. did i do wrong feeding it the manure ? :bad:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Hi Len, I normally only mulch in late winter and with the “stone” fruits (Peach, nectarine, apricot, Damson etc) don’t mulch up to the bark. You need to leave a good ring 4-6 inches out from the trunk as the bark is prone to rotting. Also, was the manure really well rotted? Have a look at the base of the tree where you put the manure and examine the bark carefully, is it soft to the touch? split? And has it lost all its leaves?

Len
    Participant

hi karen. dont think the manure was well rotted. i have had a look at the base, seems ok. the leaves started to go from the top. a few of the lower ones are still on , but they are turning.

Allan

Peach trees are prone to spider mite Len, I gave a tree too Liz,It was perfect with me,But it became covered with spider mite and all the leaves turned brown,Have a look on the underside of the leaves for little orange/red minute insects.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Good call Al, I’d forgotten about the dreaded Red Spider mite. :good: If you do find them Len try and raise the humidity in the green house, they are a menace in dry conditions.

Len
    Participant

i had a good look allan and did find a couple of the little mites, so that could be the problem. how do i get rid and will it recover for next year. by the way, i remember liz having a peach tree. we swapped conversation about it. not heard from her for a long time. do you know if she is ok. if so, please pass on my regards. thanks for that karen, temp has been up to 100 degrees faren. when the sun has been strong, so will keep the doors closed.

Allan

I used to grow cacti many moons ago Len. And they became infected, I brought them in on a new plant. I went to the RHS for instructions in how to get rid of them, They recommended a bug gun that’s not on the market now. But if you have a look at their site on google, It will explain (how too) better than me, They do a biological method of getting rid of them now as well.

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Len, keeping the doors closed is not a good idea as they love high temperatures, but especially dry heat. So when it is warm open up as you normally would but also flood the greenhouse floor with lots of water to help raise the humidity and use a fine mist sprayer to damp the leaves and branches. Trays of water left sitting about will also help when you are not there. This is NOT a cure, but will slow down the rate of infestation. As Al says biological control is the only method to get rid of them.

Len
    Participant

ok. thanks for that. will give it a go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.