Home Forums Gardening Questions Penstemons

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jenn 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jenn
    Participant

Having repeatedly tried to grow penstemons in my garden only for them to die or not come back, I am surprised to find I have 4 large clumps that I planted last year and I am at a loss with what to do with. Do I cut them down to ground level or leave them? Some even seem to have flower buds on them – we have had quite a mild winter. Any info gratefully received by this frankly, very surprised, penstemon grower!

gertie
    Participant

I’m no expert Jenn, but after trying for so long to get them, why not enjoy them?! :lol: :rose:

Allan

Never grown them Jenn,But my friend has some and he cuts them right back to the ground when the new shoots show,I just went and asked him, ;-)

cilla
    Participant

I’ve grown them for years Jenn. You should cut them back to the new shoots when danger of frost has passed…….I have to confess that I have cut them down before that though with no problems. But hold on before cutting them back as long as you can.

gertie
    Participant

This is really informative…now I also know what to do with my leggy leftovers :lol: thanks yet again, Allan and Cilla, and Jenn too, for posing the question :good:
    ‘s’good ‘ere ….. :rose:

Yewbarrow
    Participant

and if you cut them back you might be able to get some new plants from the cuttings as they do strike ok – if you want them to be a bit more bushy pinch out the tops a bit – lovely plants, haven’t got any at the moment but have grown them in the past they are like a sophisticated foxglove as the flowers have a similar shape

Jenn
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your advice. I took the plunge and pruned them down when I thought the worst of the weather was over and they have come back bigger and better….phew :lol:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.