Home Forums Gardening Questions Pieris Pruning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

I have a Pieris growing in a pot, it has done very well for the past 2 or 3 years but it is now getting a bit too large, I have no room to replant it in the garden but would like to keep it in a pot but I am not sure whether I can hard prune it without killing it off. Can anyone suggest the best option?

Attachments:
    gertie
    Participant

Repot in a larger pot? … not sure of the best time to do it tho’ … good luck Frank :good: :rose:

gertie
    Participant

PS Lovely picture … your garden is looking great :good: :-) :rose:

VegVamp
    Keymaster

Morning Frank, it’s certainly a lovely looking plant. I’m sure Cilla will be able to help with your question. @Cilla

cilla
    Participant

Hi Frank. A lovely plant and I would suggest potting on to a larger pot in ericaceous compost. However, if you want to prune it,do it in spring after flowering, probably just to tidy it up.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Evening all, thank you for your replies, I had thought of a larger pot, but the only thought I had with that is, is it going to get much larger? I think the pot it is in is around 450mm (18″ in real money) I have grown it in ericaceous compost Cilla and fed it with ericaceous feed every couple of weeks or so and as you can see it has really thrived. I just wondered whether or not to take some cuttings and start again next year. I have never tried to grow Pieris from cuttings before, are they difficult Cilla? I gather from your reply they don’t like hard pruning is that right? I don’t want to plant it in the garden as the beds aren’t all that large only about 5` deep. Everything I plant out gets so large I have to either hack it down or dig it out. I don’t know what it is but almost everything grows so well here. It can’t possibly be the gardener I am sure. :lol:

cilla
    Participant

Hi Frank. I have never taken Pieris cuttings but just googled it and it looks like softwood cuttings in summer. If you google it there are lots of videos and information. Mine have been in the same pot for years and never get fed but still thrive so you could just leave it alone.

Frank AKA seasider
    Participant

Thanks Cilla, you could be right leave well alone. I might just have a look for a bigger pot as you suggested. The reason I fed it was watching Monty one night he suggested that growing shrubs in pots required feeding every two weeks, but you know Monty a bit over the top as you have proved by not feeding at all :lol: I think I will follow your example and save a few bob. I could maybe save enough to buy a new pot. ;-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.